In 1925 RACV moved into its own purpose-built Club headquarters at 94 Queen Street. In addition to the facilities offered in its previous Elizabeth Street premises, the new elegant Club rooms included a fine dining room, more extensive ladies’ lounge, a visitors’ room and even a barber’s. The 1940s photo shows the headquarters with two RACV Austin 7 patrol vehicles and a Bedford tow truck parked in front (inset).
The mid ’20s was a busy period for RACV. In the lead-up to the opening of the new building, membership almost doubled in two years, rising to well over 5000. The Club launched its roadside assistance service, and started to produce The R.A.C.V. Journal. The first of many annual RACV Cabaret Balls was also held in the St Kilda Town Hall. By 1926 a further 2000 new members joined, in the jazz-age era of burgeoning motor vehicle ownership.
RACV’s growth necessitated a further expansion in the post-war era. It moved across the road to 123 Queen Street in 1961 and sold this building in 1973. Sadly it was demolished in 1990.