In 1950, RACV bought a roadside assistance fleet of 30 Ford Prefect utilities, replacing the Austin and Morris single-seater coupes and jeeps used in the war years.
Two-way radio telephones were installed in the fleet in March 1952 to improve communication between the patrolmen and headquarters.
This change was greatly welcomed by the mechanics. Instead of having to carry a bag of pennies to ring in for their next job from the nearest public call box, patrolmen could immediately receive updates on the next breakdown to attend.
Members also welcomed the change, experiencing a 50 per cent reduction in waiting times.