Storms can happen all year round, bringing heavy rain, hail and damaging winds. Some simple preparation may prevent major problems down the track.
Before the storm
- Check the Bureau of Meteorology and SES websites for warnings, especially in heavy rain.
- Secure loose items in the garden (chairs, trampolines, hoses) and ensure sails and awnings are correctly stored.
- Unplug all non-essential electrical devices to avoid power surge damage.
- Check your roof for damage or corrosion that may allow leaks.
- Park undercover if possible and avoid trees.
- Move cars, caravans and other valuables to higher ground if you’re concerned about flooding.
- Ensure your insurance policy is up-to-date and provides adequate coverage.