International driving permits - RACV Travel
contact RACV on 13 72 28. Call 13 13 29 for the holiday line.

International driving licence

International driving permits

International Driving Permits are a special permit for tourists, allowing motorists to drive internationally without further tests or applications provided their domestic driver’s licence is valid. It is also a requirement for renting a car in many countries.

IDPs are accepted worldwide (in over 150 countries) as a recognisable form of identification and are officially sanctioned by the United Nations. An IDP is a translation of your driver’s licence and must be carried with your domestic driver's licence at all times.

Even if you don’t intend to drive overseas it is useful to carry an IDP in case of an emergency and as an additional form of identification.

Why do I need an International Driving Permit?

  • International Driving Permits (IDPs) entitle the holder to drive in all counteracting countries without further examination. Check the International Driving Permit requirements of your destination before you travel.
  • It is a requirement for renting a car in many countries. Failure to do so may constitute a criminal or civil offence and may have more serious consequences
  • It can trigger an exclusion under your travel insurance policy if claiming for loss caused while driving a motor vehicle overseas
  • Provides an additional form of photo ID if your passport is locked away in a safe place
  • In most cases, your current Australian driving licence is not enough alone when driving in a foreign country. It must be complemented with an International Driving Permit
  • A valid IDP permits you to drive in most foreign countries in case of an emergency under normal IDP conditions.




How does an International Driving Permit work?

  • Your IDP carries your identification details in nine languages (English, Spanish, Japanese, Greek, German, Arabic, Russian, Chinese, French) in case you need to communicate with foreign authorities
  • Is valid for 12 months from the date of issue unless the holder's domestic driving licence expires or is revoked in the meantime. IDPs cannot be post-dated under any circumstances
  • It is not a stand-alone document or substitute for a valid driving licence - it must be carried with your current domestic driving licence at all times
  • It in no way diminishes the obligation of the holder to conform strictly to the laws and regulations of the countries you visit
  • Can only be issued to people over 18 years of age with a valid Australian licence (includes P plate)
  • Cannot be issued to learner driver permit holders

How much does an IDP cost?

An IDP costs $39 each. This does not include the added cost of postage if applying by mail.

How do I apply for an International Driving Permit?

Only RACV and constituent members of the AAA (Australian Automobile Association) are authorised to issue International Driving Permits. To obtain an IDP you can apply by post or in person at your nearest RACV Shop.

Apply online:

Visit to apply for an IDP online.

Apply in person:

  • Visit your nearest RACV Shop
  • Bring your current Australian Drivers Licence
  • Provide a recent passport size and style photo*

Apply by post:

  • Complete the International Driving Permit application form (PDF 178KB)
  • Attach a clear copy of your current Australian Driver's Licence (both front and back)
  • Provide a recent passport size and style photo*
  • Include payment plus the cost of return postage (as detailed on application form)
  • Post your application to: RACV Shop, 550 Princes Highway, Noble Park North, VIC, 3174, Australia

*NOTE: Passport photos must be on photographic quality paper. Standard copy paper will not be accepted. Head shot cut outs from 'other' photos will not be accepted. IDP photos are available for purchase at selected RACV Shops.

If you are already overseas, another option is to send your application to a family member or friend who can arrange the IDP on your behalf and send it back to you. 

If you are applying for or requesting the reissue of an International Driving Permit (IDP) from overseas, you are also required to provide:

  • proof that you are not resident in the country from which you are making the application (e.g. Copy of Australian passport)
  • proof of travel plans to other countries (e.g. Travel agent itinerary), and
  • the date of your return to Australia (e.g. Visa)

More information

For further information relating to international licences, call 13 13 29 or from overseas +61 3 8832 7986, or visit your nearest RACV Shop.