The RACV roadside assistance centre looked very different in 1952.
The Patrol Service had just moved to Dodds Street, South Melbourne.
Telephonists sat in cubicles equipped with a phone, street directory, telephone directory and service request slips. They took up to 600 calls a day, passing the slips to the plotter in the radio centre next door. In this photo, plotter Jack Mobbs is enjoying the latest technology.
In 1952, the entire patrol fleet was equipped with radio telephones, enabling instant communication with the depot.
In 1955 the Patrol Service moved to Acland Street, St Kilda, where it operated until our Noble Park Headquarters opened in 1978.