Share in the rich history of RACV Club
Automobile Club of Victoria (ACV) is formed.
Fifty-six members join the Automobile Club of Victoria in December 1903. This is approximately the number of cars in Melbourne at the time. The Club is established as a motoring and social club with touring and motor sports the main focus.
1904 – 1919
The popularity of motoring increases, as does the number of vehicles on the roads. The ACV begins advocating for the rights of motorists and more extensive and safer roads. The club also offers a range of services to members as well as organising community events.
1904 – The first Clubrooms are established at the Reform Club, 243 Collins Street.
1904 – The first Club outing is held.
1904 – ACV organises the first motor car races held in Victoria.
1905 – The first Dunlop Reliability Motor Contest is held.
1905 – ACV advocates against the Motor Car Bill 1905.
1906 – The Motor Defence Fund is established to provide legal aid to members the Club regards as having been unfairly charged with motoring infringements.
1908 – The Club moves to the Equitable Building, 91 Elizabeth Street.
1908 – Road signs are installed throughout Victoria.
1908 – Members drive children from Melbourne’s hospitals to an outing at Aspendale.
1909 – Women are permitted to join the Club as members.
1909 – ACV Driving Certificates are accepted by the State Government as appropriate proof of ability to obtain a Driving License.
1909 – ACV publishes a list of hotels in Victoria that cater for motorists.
1910 – ACV supports the Motor Car Act 1909.
1912 – ACV organises and sponsors the first Victorian Motor Exhibition, held at the Royal Exhibition Building, Melbourne.
1914 – The ACV Touring Department is established.
1915 – ACV promotes a motor insurance scheme offered by Melbourne Fire Office.
1915 – The Volunteer Transport Unit is formed to drive returning troops and nurses from their disembarkation point at Princes Pier, Port Melbourne.
1916 – The Royal Charter is bestowed upon the ACV, henceforth known as the RACV, in recognition of its patriotic service to the Victorian community during WW1.
1920s – 1940s
RACV’s role as Victoria’s leading advocate for motoring issues is affirmed in this era of rapidly increasing car ownership and the Club provides a larger range of services to its members.
1920 – Vigilance Corps is formed.
1921 – Technical Sub-Committee is formed.
1921 – The first 1000 Miles Alpine Contest (Alpine Reliability Trial) is held.
1922 – The first Club journal is published as a supplement in The Australian Motorist.
1922 – Automobile Insurance Company of Australia is established.
1924 – Emergency Roadside Assistance is introduced, with four patrols patrolling the roads to and from Melbourne on BSA motorcycles.
1925 – The Club builds and moves into 94 Queen Street.
1925 – A new Club journal, R.A.C.V., is published.
1925 – Members provide cars and drive veterans in the first Anzac Day parade.
1925 – The RACV Hotel Guide is published.
1926 – Service Membership is introduced.
1926 – Weekly radio broadcasts commence.
1927 – A new Club journal, The Royal Auto, is published.
1929 – Pilot services are introduced.
1929 – The Road Courtesy League is established.
1931 – The Free Road Service Station scheme commences.
1931 – The Vehicle Shipping Service is introduced.
1936 – A new club journal, The Radiator, is published.
1937 – The Caravan Club is established.
1938 – The first ‘yellow vans’, Austin 7s, are used as road patrol vehicles.
1940 – Petrol rationing tickets are issued by the Club.
1941 – Free vehicle testing is introduced.
1942 – The Emergency War Transport Corps is established.
1950s and 1960s
The post-war period was a time of modernisation and technological innovation. RACV made major technological advances in delivering a range of upgraded services, and the Club broadened its operations by adding new premises outside the CBD and implementing education programs.
1952 – Healesville Country Club is opened.
1952 – Radio telephones are installed in road patrol vehicles.
1953 – A new Club journal, Royalauto, is published in colour.
1956 – The first branch offices are opened.
1956 – Highway patrols are introduced.
1958 – RACV Finance Department is established.
1960 – RACV Drive School is established.
1960 – Lyrebird appeal is launched.
1961 – The Club builds and moves into 123 Queen Street.
1961 – Daily traffic reports commence.
1964 – RACV Traffic Symposium ‘Living with the Motor Car’ is held.
1966 – Emergency call boxes are introduced.
1967 – Traffic School opens.
1970s and 1980s
Successful business management and continuous growth of members results in RACV’s expansion of operations into related non-motoring opportunities. This enables the provision of more services, benefits and facilities to members.
1970 – RACV Insurance Company is established.
1971 – RACV Credit Union is established.
1973 – Household insurance is introduced.
1976 – RACV Finance Company is established.
1977 – Free towing service is introduced.
1977 – Healesville Country Club is redeveloped.
1978 – The first computerised road service dispatch system in the world is introduced.
1979 – Boat insurance is introduced.
1982 – Tickets to tourist attractions are issued at branch offices.
1985 – Club Cobram Holiday Centre opens.
1990 - present
RACV expands its role as a leader within the Victorian community, particularly in the areas of education, environment and mobility strategies. The services, benefits and facilities offered to members are significantly developed, including the provision of Resorts, and business operations expand into the home and corporate sector.
1991 – Sponsorship of Energy Breakthrough commences.
1992 – Battery replacement service commences.
1995 – Personal loans are introduced.
1996 – Accident repair centre opens.
1997 – Superannuation products are introduced.
1997 – Community Foundation is established.
1997 – Years Ahead program is launched.
1997 – Air Care program is launched.
1998 – Fleet Care is introduced.
1998 – Home Security is introduced.
2000 – Veteran and vintage car insurance is introduced.
2000 – Street Scene education program is launched.
2000 – Transmission education program is launched.
2001 – Farm and business insurance is introduced.
2002 – Eco Recycle program is launched.
2003 – Rural road safety program is launched.
2004 – Show and Save scheme is launched.
2005 – The Club moves to 501 Bourke Street.
2005 – Cape Schanck Resort opens.
2005 – Fleet Management Company is established.
2005 – Sponsorship of Australian Wildlife Health Centre begins.
2006 – Wildlife Connect service is launched.
2006 – Partnership with CFA to promote fire safety begins.
2007 – Inverloch Resort opens.
2007 – Free 2 Go program is launched.
2008 – Emergency Home Assist is introduced.
2009 – Royal Pines Resort opens.
2010 – Healesville Country Club is redeveloped.
2010 – Noosa Resort opens.
2013 – RACV Hobart Hotel opens.
2013 – Torquay Resort opens.
2015 – Goldfields Resort opens.
2017 – RACV Mobile Tyres is introduced.
2017 – RACV Car Share is introduced.
2017 – RACV Solar is introduced.
2018 – Cape Schanck Resort is redeveloped.