RACV's first yellow van was the little Austin 7 coupe. Five Austins were used together with 3 single seater Morris coupes between 1937 and 1950. They were built especially for RACV with bodies to suit patrol requirements and were designed to double as an ambulance in an emergency!
RACV’s 1937 Austin 7 coupe utility is the sole survivor of RACV's first car fleet.
It spent 13 years in service before being decommissioned and bought by the late Norm Riddiford, who was an active member of the Austin 7 Club. For almost 50 years, it was kept on blocks out in the elements in Norm's backyard, before being bought back by RACV in 2000.
After 12 months of meticulous restoration, the Austin was unveiled in January 2004 at Sandown Racecourse as part of our Centenary celebrations.
This little yellow van is now the pride of RACV's historic fleet.