Reporting problems

Have you noticed a problem on Victoria’s roads? Does a footpath need maintenance? Is a traffic sign missing?

RACV is not a road authority and as such we are often not in a position to take action to rectify problems on Victoria’s roads.  Contacting the appropriate authority directly with the problem you have noticed is the best approach.

You can make a difference by contacting the appropriate road authority.

Who is responsible for different road types?

Before reporting a dangerous location you must find out what type of road it is. There are three main types of roads in Victoria – major, local and toll roads.

Major roads

Urban roads which are generally green, black or red in the Melway, or in the country are classified as an M, A, B or C road. These roads are VicRoads' responsibility.

Local roads

Generally orange or brown in the Melways, and are not classified as an M, A, B, or C road. These roads are Local Council responsibility. Local Government is also responsible for footpaths and nature strips on all roads.

Toll roads

The CityLink tollway is operated by CityLink and is its responsibility. The road authority for Eastlink is ConnectEast.

What is an M, A, B or C road?

All country highways are signed or labelled with an M, A, B or C number. This is known as the Statewide Route Numbering Scheme (SRNS). The letter is given to a road based on the function and quality of the route.


M roads

‘M’ roads provide the primary road links that sustain economic and regional development in Victoria. They connect Melbourne and other capital cities and link major centres of production and manufacturing with Victorian ports. ‘M’ roads should provide a consistently high standard of driving conditions with divided carriageways, four or more traffic lanes, sealed shoulders and with linemarking and guideposts that are easily visible in all weather conditions. For example the Hume Freeway is signed the M31.

A roads

A roads serve the same role as ‘M’ roads but carry less traffic and are usually two-lane two-way roads. ‘A’ roads provide a similar consistently high standard of driving conditions on a single carriageway. Shoulder sealing should be provided on all ‘A’ roads and overtaking lanes should be constructed on all strategic freight routes and roads with daily traffic volumes of more than 2,000 vehicles. For example parts of the Princes Highway are signed the A1.

B roads

B roads provide the primary link between major regions not served by ‘A’ roads and to significant tourist centres. ‘B’ roads should have sealed pavements wide enough for two traffic lanes, with good centreline and edge linemarking, shoulders and a high standard of guidepost delineation. Additional overtaking lanes should be provided on higher volume ‘B’ roads to improve road safety and capacity. For example the Murray Valley Highway is signed the B400 (as shown in the image above).

C roads

C roads provide the most important links between other centres of population, and between these centres and the primary transport network. ‘C’ roads will generally be two lane sealed roads with shoulders. The safety features will be determined on the basis of cost effectiveness, depending on traffic and terrain, accident records, load restrictions and frequency of flooding. For example Plenty Road is the C727.

New South Wales

Update: November 2012

New road numbering system – New South Wales

A similar road numbering system is being introduced in New South Wales to match the nationally recognised system already in place in Victoria. However, at this stage it doesn’t appear that NSW will adopt the 'c' roads classification.

Changes to road signs will start from early 2013 and will be updated progressively across the rest of NSW.

Some important routes will be given new names as motorways:

  • The Sydney to Newcastle Freeway (commonly known as the ‘F3’) will become part of the M1 Pacific Motorway.
  • The Pacific Highway between the Queensland border and north of Byron Bay will now be part of the M1 Pacific Motorway.
  • The Southern Freeway and Mount Ousley Road from Waterfall to Albion Park Rail will become the M1 Princes Motorway.
  • The M4 will become the M4 Western Motorway between Lapstone and Concord.
  • The Hume Highway will be named the M31 Hume Motorway from the M5 at Prestons to Berrima, after which it will revert to the Hume Highway. The route will however retain the alpha numeric route marker M31.
  • The Federal Highway will remain the Federal Highway, with the new route marker M23.

Visit the RMS website for more information on the new road numbering system in NSW.

If you are planning a trip to NSW, check for updated road maps in RACV shops, and obtain updated maps for your GPS units.

Who can I contact about a problem?

It is always best to email or write to the relevant authority as they will keep a record of the correspondence for further reference, unless of course the problem requires urgent attention. The contact details for the road authorities are provided below.

When contacting a road authority remember:

  • Keep a copy of the letter for future reference;
  • Clearly explain your concerns;
  • State exactly what you would like to see done to fix the problem;
  • Clearly identify the location of the issue including a map reference if possible;
  • You may not reach your outcome, but remain flexible to any improvements that may be made;
  • Do not expect the problem to be fixed immediately – the list for projects is prioritised and may take quite some time before any action is taken to address your concerns; and
  • Be reasonable. Your suggestion may not be the optimal solution. Safety is the major concern for road engineers, but they must also balance other aspects such as the environment and mobility.


Local councils

  • Find the local Council’s website and their contact details
  • Call the Municipal Association of Victoria on (03) 9667 5555 to find contact details for the local Council


  • Email CityLink
  • Write to CityLink, Locked Bag 28, South Melbourne VIC 3205 
  • Call 13 26 29


  • Email EastLinke
  • Write to ConnectEast, PO Box 804, Ringwood VIC 3134
  • Call (03) 9955 1400

Who else can I contact?

If you have contacted the relevant road authority with little or no success (keeping in mind that improvements are often not able to be made immediately and remaining open to improvements other than those that you suggested), you may like to try the following avenues to raise the profile of your concerns:

If you have tried to resolve the problem with a road authority, including writing an email or letter, but it has not responded after three weeks or you feel they are not taking your concerns seriously you may wish to contact RACV

Urgent problems

Often problems may require urgent attention. Some important emergency contact numbers are provided below.

Traffic hazards

To report traffic hazards, traffic signal faults, freeway help phone faults, traffic accidents and delays on VicRoads roads, call 13 11 71 (24 hours a day).

To report issues on a local Council road, call their main switchboard or after hours emergency number.

Water emergencies

For water emergencies including burst water mains call 13WATER (1392837) from anywhere in Victoria and be connected to the authority responsible for fixing the fault. In areas where this system is not yet fully implemented customers will be provided with the name and contact details of the relevant water authority.

Electricity emergencies

For faulty street lights or other electricity issues call the electricity distributor for that area. The electricity distributors for Victoria are:

  • United 132 099 – Melbourne’s eastern suburbs and the Mornington Peninsula
  • Jemena 131 626 – Melbourne’s northern and north western suburbs
  • City Power 131 280 – Melbourne’s CBD and inner suburbs
  • SP Ausnet 131 799 – Melbourne’s north-eastern suburbs and the eastern half of Victoria
  • Powercor 132 412 – Melbourne’s western suburbs and the western half of Victoria

Other emergencies

Call 000 for emergency services including police, fire brigade and ambulance. If you do not have mobile reception you can dial 112 for an emergency and your call will be carried by an available mobile network.