RACV's advice to Members on bushfire insurance claims and roadside assistance services
RACV is reminding all insurance Members impacted by the Victorian bushfire emergency to get in touch as soon as possible to lodge claims and access a range of support services including emergency funds, temporary accommodation, and car hire.
“This is a very trying time for a lot of Australian and Victorian families and our thoughts remain with those impacted by this tragedy. Our number one priority is to help Members affected by these tragic events as soon as practically possible. We are here to help,” RACV Managing Director and CEO Neil Taylor said.
Support for our Members
“Our insurance teams will be on the ground in impacted areas ready to carry out assessments when and where it is safe to be so. We also have a team at the Melbourne Convention Centre for RACV Insurance Members who were evacuated from Mallacoota. Teams will be able to help Members with advice and support on how to lodge claims, as well as access to car hire, emergency funds and temporary accommodation,” Mr Taylor said.
“We have also brought on additional resources to help with increased demand. We have a motor assessor on the ground in East Gippsland, and several total loss motor vehicle claims have already been settled.
“If they haven’t already, we encourage RACV Insurance Members who need to make a claim to get in touch with our 24/7 Claims and Assistance Centre on 13 19 03 as soon as possible so we can arrange emergency accommodation or requests for other potential assistance. We keep records electronically so don’t be concerned if insurance documents are not readily available. We encourage any Member who may need assistance to contact us as soon as possible.
“Access to some areas remain limited and we ask all residents to continue to listen for updates from the authorities before returning to their homes. In a situation like this, safety is of paramount importance and we continue to urge all Victorians to follow the advice of emergency services,” he said.
RACV’s Emergency Roadside Assistance is still operational, but with some restrictions in part of the state driven by the bushfires, and we encourage Members to contact us on 13 11 11 for 24/7 service. Updates on any service restrictions will be on our website. If access is restricted, RACV Members in impacted areas are encouraged to contact triple zero (000).
RACV recently launched a Victorian bushfire webpage which contains helpful information on how to make a claim, with the option to submit online, as well as the latest advice from emergency authorities.
RACV Community Support
RACV is committed to supporting our Members and the local community.
- Assessments: A team of assessors and builders from our major events claims team will be on the ground to help our Members once it is safe to enter the affected areas.
- Member support with counselling services: Our disaster response customer support program is available where Members can receive free and confidential counselling by a team of psychologists experienced in providing post-incident support.
- Emergency Support: we are providing emergency accommodation and transport for Members, and financial assistance.
- Major Event Rapid Response Vehicles (MERRVs): We will be deploying our MERRVs at sites in Victoria when access is permitted to impacted areas. This will give our Members the ability to lodge their claim and receive emergency support at a location convenient to them. These locations will be confirmed over the coming days.
- Workplace giving: The RACV workplace giving program is matching every $1 donated by an employee with $2, tripling the donated amount, to be given to the Australian Red Cross.
- Volunteering: RACV is supporting employees actively involved in approved emergency services support groups with paid leave to assist in the bushfire emergency.
This is particularly difficult bushfire season for our emergency authorities and impacted communities, and we will continue to support them through the difficult times ahead.
Making a claim
RACV Insurance Members impacted by the Victorian bushfire emergency are being urged to get in touch with RACV Insurance as soon as possible to access emergency accommodation, financial assistance, and confidential counselling services.
To lodge an insurance claim, RACV Insurance Members should contact the Claims and Assistance Centre on 13 19 03.