You might need to make a claim after a fire or storm, burglary or an incident has occurred in your home. You can make a claim online or over the phone and it usually only takes around 10-15 minutes.

  1. Make sure you're safe

    Firstly, take care of yourself and those around you.
    If you need emergency help or if someone is injured, call Triple Zero (000).
    During a flood or storm, call the State Emergency Service (SES) on 132 500.

  2. Check your policy coverage

    See how much you’re covered for by reviewing your Certificate of Insurance.
    You can also find the full list of inclusions and exclusions associated with your home insurance policy in the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS)

  3. Make a claim

    When you make a claim online or over the phone, you’ll be asked a series of questions in order to lodge your claim. RACV Insurance will use this information to make an assessment on the outcome of your claim.

  • Make a claim

    When you submit your claim, you’ll need to provide:

    • your full name and address
    • your policy number, if you have it at hand
    • the time of the incident
    • a description of what happened, including photographs of the damage if you have them.

    Depending on what you’re claiming for, RACV Insurance might need some more information to help progress your claim.

    If this is needed, RACV Insurance will let you know how and when to send it in. 

  • For buildings claims

    If an inspection is needed to assess the damage, RACV Insurance will arrange this for you and explain the next steps once the report is received.
    If no inspection is needed, a damage report or quote will usually be enough to assess your claim.

  • For contents claims

    Once your contents claim has been assessed, RACV Insurance will discuss with you what is required to remediate or support your loss, and will be able to arrange replacement through our network of suppliers later on. This usually happens within 10 business days.

  • For buildings claims

    If your claim is settled with a repair or rebuild, an allocated builder will provide you with a full scope of work for you to review and approve, and arrange a time with you to start repairs.

  • For contents claims

    It depends on what you’re claiming for. Where possible, your item will be repaired or restored. If anything needs replacing, this will be organised with our network of suppliers or a store credit will be arranged.

  • Did you know?

    Lifetime guarantee is provided on workmanship of all authorised home repairs.

What is an excess and what options are available?

If you need to make a claim, you might need to pay an excess. An excess is the amount you contribute towards a claim. You can read more about the different types of excesses in the Premium, Excess, Discounts and Benefits Guide.

When you take out your policy, you can choose from a variety of excess options. For a basic excess, you can choose from: $100, $200, $300, $500, $750, $1,000, $2,000, $3,000, $4,000, $5,000. 

Choosing a higher basic excess can reduce your premium.

If you have an excess to pay, you can pay it online.

What do I do if I'm unhappy with repairs?

The first thing you should do is speak directly to the repairer about your concerns. If you’re still unhappy, call 13 19 03 to speak with RACV Insurance.

Keep in mind that repairs and rebuilds that have been authorised by RACV Insurance come with a lifetime guarantee. This means that any defects caused by poor workmanship will be repaired by an RACV Insurance partner repairer. This guarantee doesn’t apply if you authorised the repairs yourself, and doesn’t cover general wear and tear.

What can I provide as proof of ownership and when is it needed?

Proof of ownership is usually needed if your goods are lost, stolen, fire damaged or damaged beyond recognition. You can provide:

  • copies of receipts
  • credit card or bank statements showing when you purchased the item
  • item packaging
  • photos of the item
  • a valuation certificate.

Could my claim be denied?

Each claim is reviewed on a case by case basis, so there’s no single answer for why a claim might be denied. However, it usually occurs when:

  • the damage is not caused by an event listed on your policy
  • the damage is not included in your type of cover, for example, claiming for contents damage when you only have a home buildings insurance policy
  • information is missing from the documents you provided, such as photos of damage or proof of ownership
  • there was no valid policy in place at the time of the claim. 

What are make safe arrangements?

When you submit a home buildings claim, RACV Insurance will ask questions to determine how safe your property is.

If needed, a qualified professional may visit your property to assess whether your home is in a safe and liveable condition. This should happen within 4 hours of submitting your claim.

If your home is not safe, there are two possible outcomes:

  1. Temporary repairs may be carried out to make the area safe. For example, if water is entering your home through the roof, a tarp can be placed to prevent further leaks. If carpet is soaking wet, dryers may be used to dry out the area.
  2. Temporary accommodation may be arranged. If a listed event such as storm or fire causes loss or damage to your home, and we agree you can’t live in it – for example, it is structurally unsafe, or there’s a significant interruption to your access to water, gas or electricity – we can arrange for temporary accommodation up to 12 months.

The information provided is general advice only. Before making any decisions please consider your own circumstances and the Product Disclosure Statement and Target Market Determinations. For copies, visit As distributor, RACV Insurance Services Pty Ltd AFS Licence No. 230039 receives commission for each policy sold or renewed. Insurance product(s) issued by Insurance Manufacturers of Australia Pty Ltd ABN 93 004 208 084 AFS Licence No. 227678.