What causes a child injury in the home?
Child injury from falls
45% of hospital admissions are from accidents like children tripping, slipping, and falling off play equipment, a bed or a chair
The most common reason children go to an emergency department and are admitted to hospital is from a fall. These are mainly from tripping, slipping and falling off things like play equipment, a bed or a chair. So yes, our research has confirmed that a cheeky monkey jumping on the bed could lead to a hospital visit, not just a call to the doctor!
Parents can help avoid a fall by supervising children and removing trip hazards. Playground safety should include shock-absorbing surfaces, conduct regular checks and maintain the equipment and make sure the equipment is age appropriate and not too high.
Child injury from poisoning
if a child needs hospital treatment from poisoning, it’s likely to be serious and involve a stay in hospital
Poisoning was the fourth most common reason children were admitted to hospital. These cases were mainly due to accidental poisoning from medicine or a chemical substance. Of all the hospital admissions, 6% were due to a poisoning however only 1.5% emergency department presentations were from poisoning. This suggests that if a child needs hospital treatment from poisoning, it’s likely to be serious and involve a stay in hospital and not just a visit to emergency.
To help avoid poisoning, all medications should be clearly labelled and kept well out of reach of children. Avoid calling medication “lollies” and try not to take medication around children because they can imitate adults.
Child injury from a fire, burn or scalds
child burn and scald injures most commonly involve hot drinks, foods, cooking oils, water or household appliances
Injuries caused by a fire, burn or scald were also part of the top 5 reasons children are taken to emergency.
Prevent these sorts of injuries by identifying and removing things that could cause burns and scalds. Keep hot drinks, hot foods, cooking oils, and household appliances out of your little one’s reach wherever possible. Do your research on the hazards in your home or consider first-aid training to minimise injury severity. You can also reduce the water temperature feeding into the house to 50 degrees to reduce the risk of scalds.