Information about fines and infringements in Victoria

Enforcement: information about fines and infringements

What are the penalties for speed and red-light offences? Are there different types of cameras? What are my options when I have received a fine?
We have summarised the most important information about fines and infringements in Victoria for you.

Demerit points

Demerit points are a penalty imposed when you break a road rule and are imposed in addition to a monetary fine. 

  • A driver with no driving offences has zero points. Demerit points are accumulated (rather than lost).
  • Demerit points for driving offences range from 1 to 10 points and apply from the date of the offence. Some offences also result in a license suspension.
  • Delays may occur when recording the offence details and associated demerit points e.g. due to a court process or if a traffic infringement notice is paid late.
  • Demerit points are only valid for three years from the date of the offence. However, points older than three years could be counted if there are delayed by court processes e.g. an unpaid or contested fine. 
  • Traffic offences committed anywhere in Australia may cause demerit points to be recorded against you in Victoria. 

If you receive an infringement notice in the mail and you were not the driver, it’s in your interest to nominate who was driving at the time, otherwise you will receive their demerit points.
Remember when buying or selling vehicles to advise VicRoads immediately (within 14 days by law), or you may have to explain why you should not get someone else’s points.

For more information on demerit points or the number of demerit points for each offence, visit VicRoads website.

Fines and infringements

If you have received a speed, red-light, toll road, parking, public transport or handwritten fine attached to your vehicle, the Victorian Government provides information about the options available to you, including a review of the fine if you believe it was unfairly issued. For more information, see the Fines Victoria website.

To find out more about speed or red-light offences and how the cameras operate, see our advice on speed and red-light cameras below.

If you have received a speed, red light, level crossing or unregistered vehicle fine, you can view the images taken by the camera at the Fines Victoria website.

If you have received a breach notice for parking in a private car park see private car park fines.

For more information on parking fines read the Victoria Law Foundation’s brochure Parking, the law and you, a guide to parking laws and signs, fines, how to appeal, the consequences of not paying a fine in Victoria, and where to get help.

Public transport fines

There are a range of laws around ticketing and behaviour on public transport.  These laws are enforced by authorised officers, including protective services officers. They may also be enforced by police officers.  One of the most common offences is travelling without a valid ticket.  To find out about other types of public transport offences and the associated fines, visit the Victorian Government website.

What happens?

  • If asked by an Authorised Officer, you will need to show your ticket (myki card) and concession card, if applicable.
  • If these aren’t valid, the Authorised Officer you spoke with may send a report to the Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources.
  • You will be required to provide your name and address, and show proof of identity.
  • Authorised Officers don’t issue warnings or fines (on-the-spot fines are no longer issued). The Department reviews the Authorised Officer’s report and can respond in a number of ways including issuing
    • a fine;
    • a warning;
    • a court summons; or
    • taking no further action.

If you are issued an infringement notice, your options will be explained on the notice itself.  You can also find out more about your options on the Victorian Government website.

Private car park fines

Private car parks operate in a range of locations across Victoria. Private car park operators cannot issue parking fines or infringements - these can only be issued by an authorised government body.

Private car park operators may issue 'breach of contract' notices requesting payment for an alleged failure to obey the displayed terms and conditions of use of the car park.

For more information, including options on what you can do if you have received a breach notice see Consumer Affairs Victoria - parking payment notices in private car parks.

Speed and red-light cameras

RACV believes that both covert and overt speed enforcement is an essential part of any road safety strategy. However we do believe that speed cameras should only be used at locations where there is a proven speed related safety problem or there is the real potential for one to develop. We successfully campaigned for the location of all fixed cameras to be published and this is now available on the Government’s Cameras Save Lives website.

Speed and red-light camera FAQ's

General questions

What types of cameras are there?

There are five different types of road safety cameras on Victoria's roads as follows:

  • Mobile speed cameras 
  • Fixed freeway speed cameras
  • Combined speed and red-light (intersection) cameras
  • Point-to-point speed cameras
  • Wet film red-light cameras

Visit the Victorian Government website for more information on these cameras.

Traffic cameras and fines are all about revenue raising, aren’t they?

RACV successfully advocated in 2005 that to make the system more transparent, all revenue raised from traffic safety cameras and on-the-spot speeding fines should be channelled back into roads. Since July 2005 all money from traffic cameras and speeding fines has been dedicated to funding road safety improvements. 

What is the role of the Road Safety Camera Commissioner?

The Road Safety Camera Commissioner checks the accuracy of speed cameras and undertakes investigations relating to the integrity, accuracy and efficiency of the camera system.  The Commissioner cannot investigate and resolve individual complaints, but does monitor complaints to see if there is a pattern that might reveal problems with the camera system. 

RACV recommends that drivers carefully consider the information on the Commissioner’s website when making a complaint about a fine. For more information visit the Road Safety Camera Commissioner's website.

Questions about speed cameras

What is the tolerance on speed cameras?

The Road Safety (General) Regulations 2009 includes a tolerance for speeding offences. This means that an infringement notice is issued for less than the speed a person was detected to be travelling at.

This tolerance deducts two km/hr from a vehicle's detected speed for fixed digital safety cameras. For mobile cameras, a tolerance of three km/hr or three per cent for speeds over 100km/hr is deducted. 

Police can also apply an additional tolerance at their discretion.

Questions about red-light cameras

How do red-light cameras work?

A red-light camera will only activate after the traffic signal turns red. A red-light camera takes two photos to verify that an infringement has taken place:

  • The first photo is taken when a vehicle crosses the stop line and enters the detector loop area (generally located between the stop line and pedestrian crossing line) after the lights change to red; and
  • The second photo is taken when the vehicle continues through the intersection against the red light by exiting the detector loop area.

Visit the Victorian Government website for more information on red-light camera operation or watch the Victorian Department of Justice video.

I saw a red-light camera flash but the lights were green. Is it broken?

Some intersections are equipped with combined speed and red-light (intersection) cameras. These cameras monitor both the speed of vehicles through the intersection as well as instances of red-light running.

Because of this, a camera may flash on a green light if a driver is speeding or the camera is being tested. If a driver also speeds through a red light, two infringements will be issued. Visit the Victorian Government website for more information on combined speed and red-light cameras.

If you believe a camera is flashing incorrectly, you can report it through the Cameras Save Lives website.

Vehicle impoundment

Legislation allows authorities to impound, immobilise or forfeit a vehicle that has been used for a high risk driving offence, dangerous driving offence or hoon driving. The vehicle does not have to belong to the offender for it to be impounded or immobilised.

To report hoon driving call the Crime Stoppers Hoon Hotline on 1800 333 000 or visit the Crime Stoppers website. If it is an emergency, contact 000.

For more information about vehicle impoundment, visit VicRoads website or see the Road Safety Amendment (Hoon Driving) Act 2010 and the Road Safety Act 1986 on the Victorian Legislation website (search under Victorian Law Today).