Although not always required for skateboards, roller blades and roller skates, RACV recommends wearing a helmet and additional safety equipment such as knee pads and elbow pads when riding.
Specific requirements for scooters:
Scooter riders must always:
- wear an approved bike helmet (religious and medical exemptions may apply)
- ride with at least one working brake and warning device (like a bell or horn); and
- have working lights and reflectors visible at the front and back of the scooter at night
- a white light (flashing or steady) on the front
- a red light (flashing or steady) on the back
- a red reflector on the back.
For more information on this topic, visit VicRoads website and refer to rules 240 to 244B of the Victorian Road Safety Road Rules 2017.