Chilli and peach-glazed Christmas ham recipe
Give your Christmas ham a tropical twist with the sweet and tangy flavour of pineapple and a touch of chilli. This RACV Club recipe will infuse your festive feast with the taste of summer.
There are a thousand ways of glazing your ham for a Christmas feast, but Healesville Country Club & Resort Executive Chef Himanshu Sharda believes peach is the perfect match. If you add maple syrup and chillies you get a delicious infusion of sweet, savoury and spicy flavours.
“Peach creates nice, summery flavours and that mix of sweetness and sourness goes well with ham,” Himanshu says. “You can use stone fruit as well, but I like peach and chilli.”
Himanshu says there are five key points to remember when buying and preparing ham for Christmas:
- Always buy Australian ham that has been traditionally smoked
- Check for a natural meaty texture
- Look for smooth and even skin
- Ask your butcher for a tasting sample and aim for a balance between smokiness and saltiness
- Remove rind and keep the ham covered with a damp cloth until you are ready to cook
As a general guide, a 3kg ham serves 10-14 people, while a 5kg ham will serve 15-20.