Ultimate Mother's Day Pancakes Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cooking time: 20 minutes | Portions: 10 small pancakes
For the pancakes
- 185 grams all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 250 millilitres milk
- 60 grams unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus more for serving
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg yolk
- 4 large egg whites
- 45 grams sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
To top it off
- 5 rashers streaky bacon
- Maple syrup
- 100 grams blueberry jam
- 150 millilitres lightly whipped cream
- Fresh mixed seasonal berries
- Fresh mint
- Two large mixing bowls
- Medium mixing bowl
- Small mixing bowl
- Electric mixer
- Wooden spoon
- Non-stick frypan
- Wire rack
- Basting brush
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the milk, melted butter, vanilla extract and egg yolk in a medium bowl until combined.
- Beat the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar in another large bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form, about two minutes.
- Stir the milk mixture into the flour mixture until just combined (it’s okay if there are a few lumps). Stir one-third of the beaten egg whites into the flour-milk mixture, then gently fold in the remaining egg whites until just combined (take care not to overmix).
- In a small mixing bowl add the lightly whipped cream and gently fold the blueberry jam through to create a ripple effect.
- Lay the bacon on a wire rack and place in the oven for around 7 to 10 minutes until it becomes crispy.
- While the bacon is in the oven, coat a non-stick frypan with non-stick cooking spray and heat over medium-low heat. Add half a cup of batter to the pan and cook until the batter rises and is golden on the bottom, about five minutes. Release the bottom of the pancakes with a spatula then carefully flip. Cook until golden on the other side, about five minutes more.
- Drain any excess fat from the bacon, then brush it with maple syrup and bake for a further three minutes.
How to plate it up
Arrange the pancakes on a plate so they are slightly overlapping each other, then start to build the layers of garnish by first adding four dollops of the blueberry cream. Scatter the mixed berries and add some shards of torn maple bacon, then a drizzle of maple syrup. Repeat with more dollops of the blueberry cream, berries and finish with some torn fresh mint leaves. Enjoy!
Happy Mother’s Day from the team at RACV Cape Schanck Resort.
Save on ingredients
RACV Members can save five per cent on pancakes ingredients by pre-purchasing a Woolworths Wish e-Gift card online. Go to the Woolworths RACV Member Offer website, enter your membership details, then redeem your gift card at thousands of participating stores across Australia.