Best ever fluffy pancakes with bacon and berries
Breakfast in bed never looked so good with these bacon and berry pancakes.
Treat your mum to a special breakfast in bed this Mother's Day (Sunday 9 May), with this simple yet delicious pancake recipe by Josh Pelham, executive chef at RACV Cape Schanck Resort.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the milk, melted butter, vanilla extract and egg yolk in a medium bowl until combined.
- Beat the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar in another large bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form, about two minutes.
- Stir the milk mixture into the flour mixture until just combined (it’s okay if there are a few lumps). Stir one-third of the beaten egg whites into the flour-milk mixture, then gently fold in the remaining egg whites until just combined (take care not to overmix).
- In a small mixing bowl add the lightly whipped cream and gently fold the blueberry jam through to create a ripple effect.
- Lay the bacon on a wire rack and place in the oven for around 7 to 10 minutes until it becomes crispy.
- While the bacon is in the oven, coat a non-stick frypan with non-stick cooking spray and heat over medium-low heat.
- Add half a cup of batter to the pan and cook until the batter rises and is golden on the bottom, about five minutes.
- Release the bottom of the pancakes with a spatula then carefully flip. Cook until golden on the other side, about five minutes more.
- Drain any excess fat from the bacon, then brush it with maple syrup and bake for a further three minutes.
- Plate it up: Arrange the pancakes on a plate so they are slightly overlapping each other, then start to build the layers of garnish by first adding four dollops of the blueberry cream.
- Scatter the mixed berries and add some shards of torn maple bacon, then a drizzle of maple syrup. Repeat with more dollops of the blueberry cream, berries and finish with some torn fresh mint leaves. Enjoy!
Save on ingredients
RACV Members can save five per cent on pancakes ingredients by pre-purchasing a Woolworths Wish e-Gift card online. Go to the Woolworths RACV Member Offer website, enter your membership details, then redeem your gift card at thousands of participating stores across Australia.