Revealing your holiday dates, locations, or photos on social media is great to make friends jealous of your adventures, but it may also attract the attention of thieves. Be a sensible sharer and aside from ensuring all windows and doors are locked, protect your home by making it appear occupied:
- Ask a friend or family member to house-sit.
- Put your mail on hold or have someone collect it regularly. Junk mail filling up your mailbox and newspapers on your driveway are a sign of an empty house and easy target!
- Don't leave keys hidden outside where they could be found by an unintended burglar - leave a set with a family member or trusted friend instead.
- If you can't find a house sitter, invest in easily programmable timers that will switch on lights and appliances such as your television on a schedule so it looks like you never left.
- If you're taking your car away with you, ask a neighbour to park in your driveway to give the illusion people are regularly coming and going.