When you go away
Revealing your holiday dates, locations, or photos on social media is great to make friends jealous of your adventures, but it may also attract the attention of thieves. Be a sensible sharer and aside from ensuring all windows and doors are locked, protect your home by making it appear occupied:
- Ask a friend or family member to house-sit.
- Put your mail on hold or have someone collect it regularly. Junk mail filling up your mailbox and newspapers on your driveway are a sign of an empty house and easy target!
- Don't leave keys hidden outside where they could be found by an unintended burglar - leave a set with a family member or trusted friend instead.
- If you can't find a house sitter, invest in easily programmable timers that will switch on lights and appliances such as your television on a schedule so it looks like you never left.
- If you're taking your car away with you, ask a neighbour to park in your driveway to give the illusion people are regularly coming and going.