Woman sitting on her couch, dancing and singing along to music

Renters Insurance

Protect your belongings with flexible contents insurance for renters

Thank you for submitting the form. Your reference number is

What is Renters Insurance?

RACV Renters Insurance provides contents cover suited to tenants in Victoria. Whether you’re renting as a family, with friends, a partner, or on your own, get cover for your contents and belongings against loss or damage from an insured event for items like furniture and rugs, fridges and washing machines, TVs and more. You can also customise your policy, and choose optional extras to suit your needs.

Key benefits

  • Any reasonable extra rent costs for temporary accommodation for you and your pets if your rental property is unliveable following an insured event.1
  • Up to $1000 if your credit card is stolen from your home during a theft, and used.
  • Up to $500 to replace spoiled food or prescription medication if an insured event interrupts electricity supply to your fridge or freezer.

What does Renters Insurance cover?

With an RACV Renters Insurance policy, you'll be covered for a range of events, such as fire, theft and storm. Here's a summary of what's included:

Temporary accommodation

If you can’t live in your rental due to damage from an insured event, we’ll cover any reasonable extra rent costs, to help make sure you and your pets have a place to stay for up to 12 months.1 Plus, the costs to remove and store your belongings are covered. 

Spoiled food and prescription medication

Get up to $500 in replacement costs, with no excess to pay, if an insured event interrupts the electricity supply to your fridge or freezer.

Up to $20 million in liability cover

If a claim is made against you or your family for an incident that causes injury or death, or loss or damage to someone else’s property.

New for old cover

If an insured belonging is stolen, damaged or destroyed in an insured event, we’ll cover the cost of a new one.

Key and lock replacement

So you can change the external locks if your key is stolen during a break in.

Cover for your visitors’ belongings

Get up to $500 towards repair or replacement if they’re damaged in or stolen from your home during an insured event.

This is only a summary of the inclusions for RACV Renters Insurance. For more information, such as conditions, limits and exclusions, please read the Product Disclosure Statement.

These are a few examples of things not covered by RACV Renters Insurance.  Make sure you check the Product Disclosure Statement for a full list of conditions, limits and exclusions.

Loose or unset gemstones.

Trailers, caravans, motor vehicles, golf buggies or carts.

Plants, trees or shrubs growing in the ground (however potted plants are covered).

Buildings and fixtures such as light fittings and kitchen cupboards. Includes garage, fences and in-ground pools.

Stock used in any business, trade or profession.

Looking for a little extra protection? You can boost your cover by adding options to your policy. If you do this, you’ll need to pay extra.

Accidental Damage inside the home

Prone to a lot of ‘oops!’ moments? Get cover for unintentional damage to your general contents or valuable items. It covers things like accidentally knocking over your TV.

Portable items

Insure items you or your family might take with you when you leave your home, such as phones or laptops. Covered up to $10,000 (unless you list it separately for more). If you take your items outside Australia or New Zealand, the most payable is $10,000 for all items.

Burn out of electrical motors – fusion damage

That are less than 15 years old, not covered by a warranty or used for a business, trade or profession and permanently attached fixtures, such as in a ducted air conditioning unit.

Valuable Items inside the home

The standard policy provides cover for $2,500 under each category (for example, works of art and jewellery and watches). You can increase your level of cover for any of these categories by calling us and letting us know what amount above $2,500 you’d like to insure your valuables for.

Insured events

If you’re new to buying insurance, don’t worry – it’s easier than you think. Take a look at things that you can make a claim for if they impact the contents in your rental. For all limits, conditions and exclusions, check the Product Disclosure Statement.


If your things are stolen during a break in or there’s damage caused by attempted theft.


That’s an escape or release of water from things like lakes, creeks, rivers, canals or dams.


Damage caused by fire (like a bush fire, kitchen fire or electric fire), smoke and soot.


This includes damage or loss caused by rain, hail, lightning, snow or wild winds.

Impact damage

This covers damage caused by falling trees and branches, a car that’s lost control, power poles or aerials.

Earthquake and tsunami

Loss or damage from an earthquake or tsunami (including landslide or subsidence that happens afterwards).

Water and oil leaks

Sudden leaks from things like gutters, broken pipes, baths, toilets, appliances, fixed heaters and cooling systems.


Loss or damage caused by an explosion from things like gas boilers or electronic devices. Plus, resulting landslide or subsidence.

Animal damage

Damage caused by an animal that isn’t kept on your property. This doesn’t include vermin, insects or birds.

More than just great home insurance

Local care

Speak to our Australian-based team when you need help. They're available from 7am-11pm every day for general enquiries, and 24/7 for claims.

Cover to suit your lifestyle

Choose optional extras like accidental damage cover, and cover for valuable items inside the home, or portable items you take out of home.

Pay your way

Pay the way that suits you – annually or monthly. Plus, you may be able to reduce your premium upfront by selecting a higher basic excess.

Stay with us and save

Save on your policy with discounts the longer you’re with us.# Plus, take out two or more eligible insurance policies and save up to 10% on each.*

Getting started

If you’re new to buying insurance, don’t worry – it’s easier than you think. 

  • Calculate the sum insured

    This should be enough to repair or replace your contents after an insured event. If you need help, use our contents calculator.^ 

  • Get a quote

    You can get a quote online or by calling us on 13 72 28 (we’re here 7am – 11pm, 365 days a year). 

  • Review your quote

    Check your coverage and excess to make sure they’re right for you.

  • Buy your policy

    Once you’re ready, you can buy your policy online or over the phone.

Make a claim or manage your policy

Make or manage a claim

Lodge and manage claims online or by calling the claims team on 13 19 03.

Manage your policy

Log in to your online account to view policy documents, or update your personal details and payment methods. For other changes, call 13 72 28.

Frequently asked questions

General contents 
These are items that are kept in or around your home but aren’t permanently fixed to the house. Think furniture, carpets, electronics and clothes. 

Valuables contents 
These are things like art, music, games, movies, jewellery, watches and other collections.

It's not automatically included, but you can add it to your policy. 

If you do add it, you'll be covered for any unintentional damage to the things you keep in your home. 

So if you spill red wine on your rug or knock over your TV, RACV Insurance can help you sort it. 

Keep in mind that a $300 excess will apply for accidental damage claims.

For full details of what is and isn’t covered, see the Product Disclosure Statement.

Renters Insurance covers your contents if you’re a tenant. That means it covers the things you own inside your rental property, but not the building or permanent fixtures.

If you're not a tenant, you should check out Contents Insurance for homeowners.

When you get a quote for Renters Insurance, we'll calculate the cost (we call that your ‘premium’) using various details, including:

They include things like:

  • the type of property you live in and where it’s located
  • the replacement value of the contents you need covered
  • whether you need accidental damage inside your home
  • whether you need portable cover for the items you take outside your home
  • all owners of the contents you’re insuring (plus their insurance and claims history)
  • any discounts you’re eligible for
  • the excess you choose for your policy
  • any compulsory government charges (such as Stamp Duty or GST).

Keep in mind that your premium can change each year when you renew your policy. You can also choose to change your basic excess at your policy renewal time through your online account.

Want to know what your premium could be? Get a quote today.

You sure can. You can either take out one policy to cover everyone's contents or take out your own policy with just your contents.

You can only cover belongings owned by people listed on the policy, so if you get insurance as a group, make sure to add everyone's names to the policy.

When you take out Renters Insurance, you can add portable items to your policy. This covers items if they're lost or stolen anywhere in Australia or New Zealand. You'll also get limited cover anywhere else in the world.

We'll ask you for the value of your contents across different categories.

They include:

  • electronics (including mobile phones, wearable technology, tablets or laptops)
  • jewellery and watches
  • glasses, sunglasses and hearing aids
  • wheelchairs, scooters and prosthetic limbs
  • camping, sporting and recreation equipment (including musical instruments)
  • clothing and luggage (including handbags and wallets).

Some of your general contents can be covered if they're in storage in Australia.

Before you move them into storage, you need to tell RACV Insurance:

  • the value of the items
  • about the new storage location (to make sure it meets our criteria).

To see what can be covered in storage, check the Product Disclosure Statement.

Call 13 72 28 to chat to the team.

It depends on the item. Where possible, your items will be repaired or restored.

Some items (like fridges, washing machines and electrical appliances) can be replaced by a specialist supplier.

Other ways your claim can be settled are by giving you a store credit or a cash payout.

You can make a claim online by logging in, or by calling 13 19 03.

To check the cover on your policy, call us on 13 72 28.

Tips and advice to keep your home secure

1 If you’re renting the home (a tenant), we pay the reasonable extra rent costs for temporary accommodation.

* The Multi-Policy Discount and Years of Membership Benefits exclude Travel, Business and Farm Insurance products. To qualify for the Multi-Policy Discount, you must hold two eligible RACV Insurance policies. For further details, see the Premium, Excess and Discounts guide at racv.com.au. Discounts will only be applied until any applicable minimum premium is reached. On renewal, any increases or decreases in your premium may be limited by factors such as your previous year’s premium. You may not save more with more eligible policies and by staying with RACV Insurance longer if a minimum premium is reached, or limits have been applied to increases or decreases in your premium.

^ The RACV Home Buildings Calculator provides an indication of rebuilding costs only and in no way guarantees the amount RACV Insurance may agree to insure your home for. It is your responsibility to check that this amount is enough to cover the rebuilding costs of your home at today’s prices. Before you decide whether to buy or continue to hold RACV Home Insurance, you should calculate the actual replacement value of your home and consider the information in the Product Disclosure Statement.

The information provided is general advice only. Before making any decisions please consider your own circumstances and the Product Disclosure Statement and Target Market Determinations. For copies, visit racv.com.au. As distributor, RACV Insurance Services Pty Ltd AFS Licence No. 230039 receives commission for each policy sold or renewed. Product(s) issued by Insurance Manufacturers of Australia Pty Ltd ABN 93 004 208 084 AFS Licence No. 227678.