RACV Car Share membership is a unique membership that allows you to access cars on an hourly basis, from 10 convenient locations. Renting a car just became easier.
It is operated by Kingmill Pty Limited (ACN 003 966 649) trading as RACV Car Share.
Kingmill Pty Limited also trades as Thrifty Car Rental (“Thrifty”). Thrifty is a wholly owned company of National Roads and Motorists’ Association Limited. In these terms and conditions, a reference to “we”, “us” or “our” means Thrifty. RACV Car Share is a registered business name of Thrifty.
RACV Car Share is a business operated by Thrifty in conjunction with Royal Automobile Club of Victoria (RACV) Limited ACN 004 060 833. All aspects of the RACV Car Share service are supplied to you by Thrifty, but some additional benefits and services may be made available to you from, or offered to you by, Royal Automobile Club of Victoria (RACV) Limited from time to time.
Your membership will allow you to book over the internet, using mobile device (currently iPhone and Android) apps or by phone to use a vehicle for periods from one hour to five days.
As a membership-based organisation, we ask each member to respect not only the vehicle, but also these terms and conditions and the rights of your fellow members.
This agreement and the terms and conditions below govern all other members as well as your membership and your usage of the cars.
By accepting these terms and conditions, you agree to be bound by them and to receive notice of any changes to the terms and conditions through the posting of notice of such changes on the RACV Car Share website: www.racvcarshare.com.au. Your continued use of RACV Car Share after any changed terms and conditions are notified will be deemed to indicate your acceptance to those revised terms; if you do not accept any revision to these terms and conditions, you must contact us immediately to cancel your membership of RACV Car Share. You acknowledge that for the purposes of this membership Kingmill Pty Ltd (trading as Thrifty Car Rental) is trading as RACV Car Share.
Please look through the FAQ section on our website for further details on how the process works and for any additional requirements which you need to adhere to as a member.
If you would like to contact us directly:
RACV Car Share
550 Princes Highway, Noble Park North
Victoria, 3147, AUSTRALIA
Phone: 1300 729 047
1. Becoming a member
By applying to join RACV Car Share you are authorising us to conduct an online identity verification service check of your contact information, credit/debit details, insurance history and driving record. You acknowledge and agree that we may engage third party service suppliers to perform all such checks on our behalf, and that we may provide any information you provide to us to these third parties for this purpose. You also agree to us conducting random driving licence checks of our members with the relevant driving licence issuing authorities in each country/state. You must be over 18 years of age and you are accepting your responsibility (a legal requirement in some Australian states) to provide up-to-date contact details to the car rental issuer as recorded on your driving licence. Any changes to your driving licence status and official contact details that aren’t reported to us will result in your membership being cancelled.
a. You must complete the application form on our website and fill out all your details correctly (including billing information).
b. Membership will include third party insurance personal injury (required by law).
c. In order to receive confirmation and reminders on your bookings, you will need to provide a valid email address and/or your mobile phone number. Please inform us if these change during the course of your membership so that we can continue to keep you updated.
d. You need to ensure that you meet our admission requirements both before you join and throughout your membership. If your circumstances change, you must advise us immediately in writing, via email.
e. It is a condition of membership that you must have a current driving licence valid for driving a car in Australia and continue to maintain a valid driving licence for the duration of your membership.
f. It is a condition of membership that your driving licence must not be subject to any serious (as determined by us at our discretion) endorsements and you must not have had more than two at fault accidents in the previous three years. To process your application we reserve the right to check your driving licence, contact details and credit history with an online identity verification service in order for us to validate your application.
g. You may be required at the start of each rental to confirm that you continue to hold a valid driving licence permitting you to drive a vehicle in Australia and it is your responsibility to ensure that your driving licence remains valid and continues to comply with the conditions of paragraph 1(f).
h. If you do not hold an Australian driving licence, you can still become a member; please contact the Customer Care Centre on 1300 729 047 for details. We recognise all current non-provisional and non-probationary Australian drivers’ licenses and current overseas licenses. The required driver’s license must be in English with photo and be produced on request. Should the license be in another language or have no photo, an International Driving Permit must accompany it.
i. You will need to provide us with your debit or credit card details so that we can verify their validity and then invoice you for membership, rental and additional charges.
j. We may use the details of your home address for billing purposes.
Drivers Under 21
k. If you are under the age of 21 you can be a member of RACV Car Share, you will need to pay a Young Driver surcharge of $2 per hour up to a maximum of $20 per day and your damage cover excess will be $3000. This option will be automatically applied to your membership at time of joining based on your date of birth as stated on your membership application. You will automatically be placed on an ‘Under 21’ plan if you are under 21 years of age when joining.
l. In addition to the above licence conditions you may be required to send to RACV Car Share verification that you have not made any motor insurance claims under any name.
m. Please remember that damage cover only covers you if:
- you have followed the rules of the membership
- you have followed all road laws of the location where you are driving;
- you have used the vehicle in accordance with our terms and conditions; and
- the damage was not due to your negligence.
n. You can opt for an Additional Cover Plan and pay a surcharge of $2 per hour up to a maximum of $20 per day on your bookings to reduce the maximum excess amount to $300. Additional Cover Plans are not available to drivers under 21.
o. You will only be responsible for damage, theft or vandalism to the vehicle for each time that you rent the vehicle for up to the damage cover excess amount depending on your selected policy. If you have selected Standard Cover your excess amount is $2000 if you have held a valid Australian driver licence for three years or longer. If you hold a foreign driver licence or have held an Australian licence for less than three years your damage cover excess will be $2500. If damage to the vehicle is valued at less than the excess amount, you will only be responsible for the lesser amount plus administration fees and any towing costs to recover the vehicle. You will not be required to pay any amount greater than the excess amount, so long as you have complied with the terms and conditions of membership and the appropriate laws governing the roads where you are driving.
p. Once we have authenticated your driving details, contact information and credit card information with an online identity verification service and approved your application, you will become a member of RACV Car Share.
q. No cover is provided for the theft of personal belongings from RACV Car Share vehicles nor is any personal injury cover provided.
r. We reserve the right to refuse your application for membership at our discretion.
s. We reserve the right to charge your provided method of payment for the full amount of the applicable damage cover excess immediately following your being involved in an accident resulting in damage to a RACV Car Share vehicle. If you are later deemed not to be at fault in the accident, this excess amount will be refunded to your nominated payment source.
2. Making a Booking
a. You will need to add a method of payment to your RACV Car Share profile and book a vehicle before you use it.
b. You can reserve your vehicle via our website: www.racvcarshare.com.au using the RACV Car Share mobile device apps, or by phoning the Customer Care Centre on 1300 729 047 (this service incurs a Customer Care service fee).
c. You can reserve a car up to 3 months in advance.
d. To book a car, you must provide us with a collection and return time for the vehicle. You must book the car for at least one hour on each occasion and thereafter in 30-minute increments.
e. One-way journeys are currently prohibited.
f. You will receive a confirmation of your booking by text message on your mobile and/or an email, depending on contact information options you elect.
g. Please look at the FAQs or contact the Customer Care Centre for further information.
3. Pricing Structure
a. Up-to-date plans and rates information is available on the rates page of the RACV Car Share website. Plans and rates may change from time to time and are subject to change without notice.
b. RACV Car Share daily rates apply to any 24 hour period. Daily rates are applied once the total of an hourly booking reaches the value of a daily rate on your selected plan.
c. You may elect a change of plan at any time. You must request a change of plan by email. The change of plan will take effect from the date you receive written acknowledgement of your request. If you request a change of plan before the monthly renewal date of your membership you will be charged a pro-rata amount accordingly.
d. From time to time RACV Car Share may offer special rates. All information on specials, including eligibility and any special terms and conditions, will be available on RACV Car Share website and it is your responsibility to be aware of, and adhere to, any offer conditions.
e. Only one promotional rate or offer can apply at any one time.
f. Some plans are based on a credit pre-purchase, valid for a one month period from date of joining or from your monthly anniversary date of joining. Unused credit amounts expire at the end of the month.
4. Charges for using the vehicle
a. When you use a vehicle, you will be charged on an hourly rate or part thereof with a minimum charge of one hour. You will be charged for the full duration of the period you have booked to rent the vehicle, regardless of whether you returned the vehicle early (or whether you used the vehicle at all), subject to clause 6.
b. The hourly rental rate for each rental will be determined when you make a booking and you will be able to view these charges before you confirm each booking.
c. We reserve the right to pre-authorise up to 150% of the initial charges up to 48 hours before you start your rental or immediately if your rental commences within 48 hours. If we exercise this right, your booking will only be confirmed once this authorisation has been successfully obtained. We will notify you if your payment card is declined.
d. Your credit or debit card will be charged at the end of the rental for the rental charges and any additional costs that may be applicable. Additional delayed charges such as road tolls, traffic and parking infringements and RACV Car Share terms of membership infringement fees as outlined below in Schedule 1 may be charged to your card on our receiving notification of these costs from the relevant managing bodies. These additional charges will incur a $0.75 admin fee.
e. If you make a telephone booking through the Customer Care Centre, you will be charged an additional phone-booking booking fee as outlined in Schedule 1.
f. If you are aged under 21 years, the young driver hourly and daily surcharges will automatically be applicable for your membership. These surcharges are $2 per hour up to a maximum of $20 per day.
By agreeing to these terms and conditions, you authorise us to preauthorise the initial charges to your credit or debit card and deduct all charges from the debit/credit card you provided at the conclusion of each rental. We will also pre-authorise $1 on any card you provide as a payment method to ensure the card is valid.
5. Additional charges for which you will be responsible
Please see Schedule 1 below for details of the charges
a. If you return the car late, you will be charged a late return charge (the amount will depend on whether you let us know or not) together with the normal rental charges.
b. If you do not let us know that you will be late, even if there is no other member waiting to use the car, we will charge you a late return fee for being late.
c. You may also incur an additional charge in the following instances:
- If you return the car with less than a quarter tank of fuel.
- If you leave the car in an unfit state (not clean), or you have smoked in the vehicle or if you have allowed pets in the car.
- If you lose the keys, car documents or the fuel cards.
- If you have not turned the lights off or have forgotten to lock the car.
d. All RACV Car Share cars are fitted with eTags but you remain liable for costs incurred by travelling on toll roads. These tolls incur a $0.75 admin charge and will be charged to your provided payment source by a separate invoice within a month of travelling on toll roads (subject to road toll operator efficiency).
e. If you do not return the car to the designated parking space and park the car elsewhere without informing us, then you will be charged an additional fee plus any parking charges and any recovery charges if the vehicle is towed away or ticketed.
f. If we are required to process any accident claims, traffic infringements, parking fines or any other fines relating to the time the car was in your possession, you may be charged an administration charge for dealing with it. You will also be responsible for all fines. By agreeing to these terms and conditions, you authorise us to deduct all charges from your debit or credit card.
6. Early Return/Cancellation
- If you no longer need the car, you may cancel the booking. To avoid being charged for the full period of the booking, you must cancel at least six hours before the beginning time of your booking. If you don’t cancel more than six hours before your booking, you will be charged for up to 10 hours or your full rental, whichever is less.
- Even if you return the car early, you will still be charged for the full rental or for the period up to 10 hours after the return, whichever is less.
7. Our Commitment to You as a Member
- Subject to this clause, cars will be available to you from designated parking spaces from the start of your booking. Other members may be returning the car at the end of their booking; we cannot always guarantee that the car which you have reserved will be available.
- If a car has not been returned on time by a previous member, we will try and find an alternative vehicle for you, but we may not be able to meet all your requirements.
- We will ensure that as far as is reasonably possible, the car is in good overall and operating condition.
- If a car breaks down, let us know immediately by phoning the Customer Care Centre and we will arrange for a breakdown service provider to come to you or make alternative arrangements.
8. Paying for your Rental
- You are responsible for the payment of all charges in any way incurred in connection with the booking and use of a car.
- When you joined, or before making your first booking, you gave us your credit or debit card details. You must notify us immediately if these details change. If we cannot authorise your payment card before each rental, you will not be able to unlock and use the car.
- At the end of every rental, we will debit your account for the rental charges and any additional charges, damage cover fees, and/or damage.
- We will not be responsible for any overdraft charges or any other losses or liabilities which you may incur with your bank or card provider.
- If we experience continued problems with your credit card or other payment method, or in the event of debit refusal by your bank, we reserve the right to suspend and/or terminate your membership with RACV Car Share.
- When you give us your credit/debit card details you agree to allow us to deduct from your card all charges that you may have incurred.
9. Damage and Additional Cover Offered by RACV Car Share
- Provided you comply with the terms and conditions of rental, you will be covered by third party personal injury motor insurance as required by law and damage cover.
- When you join you agree to the damage cover plan that RACV Car Share offers you when you use the car, which is part of your membership. Please see below in Schedule 2 for the details and the terms and conditions of the cover.
- If you have followed all the rules of membership, you will only have to pay up to the excess amount outlined in the table in Section 1 if there is damage, loss or theft of the car. If the cost of repairing the damage is lower than the amount of the damage cover excess, you will be required to pay the amount of repair and an administration fee only.
- If you do not comply with the terms and conditions of rental, or if the loss, damage or theft is caused intentionally or by negligence, you will lose the benefit of any Damage Cover and Additional Cover provided by RACV Car Share.
- It is important that you notify us immediately by email or postal mail of any change in your driving licence status or if you have any points added to your driving licence as this may mean that you are no longer insured.
10. Termination and Suspension of your Membership
- Your membership with RACV Car Share will automatically renew each month unless you inform us that you wish to cancel it, or we cancel it in accordance with these terms and conditions.
- You may cancel your membership at any time. We will terminate your membership.
- We may suspend or cancel your membership with immediate effect by giving notice to you in the event that you have failed to pay your account or the direct debit payment was unsuccessful.
- We may suspend or cancel your membership with immediate effect by giving notice to you if your driving licence no longer meets our licence requirements for you to use our cars.
- We may also choose to cancel or suspend your membership with immediate effect by giving written notice to you for any other reason, including if we believe that you have been abusing the services or are not following the membership rules.
11. Your Information – Data Cover
- When you fill in the application form, you agree that we can use the information in the form to verify who you are and make sure that you can become a RACV Car Share member. If you do not provide us with all the information we need for the specified purposes, you will not be able to become a member or use our vehicles.
- We will also use the driving licence details which you give us to check with the licensing authority which issued the licence that you can use our vehicles and you consent to us disclosing the information to that authority to enable us to confirm your membership.
- We may continue to do periodic checks to ensure that your driving licence remains valid and still fits our membership requirements.
- We utilise third party data handling and processing technology to supply the benefits of RACV Car Share to you, including technology operated by our third party service suppliers located in jurisdictions outside Australia. You agree that information about your use of RACV Car Share may be collected, processed and stored by us and our third party service suppliers for any purpose.
- We track the location of the car via GPS for security purposes, and accordingly you agree that we can collect this data for such reasons.
- Your credit/debit card details will be supplied to our third party payment service providers solely for the purpose of processing payments.
- The entities that will may store and use personal information which we have been given by you include:
Royal Automobile Club of Victoria (RACV) Limited, Level 15, 550 Princes Highway, Noble Park North, 3147 Victoria, AUSTRALIA
Kingmill Pty Ltd, 52-60 Kent Road, Mascot, 2020, NSW, AUSTRALIA;
- You agree that we may keep your personal information as part of our records to continue to administer and provide the services to you.
- We reserve the right to make changes to the terms and conditions (including but not limited to rates and charges) at any time. Your use of the RACV Car Share Service will be governed by and subject to the terms and conditions as published on the RACV Car Share website at the time of your use of the services. After we have published any changes to the terms and conditions you will be bound by those amended terms and conditions. Accordingly, you should check prior to each use of the RACV Car Share services to ensure that you understand the precise terms and conditions applicable to your use of the services. If you make a booking, then you agree to the terms and conditions in force at the time of your booking.
13. Disputes and complaints
- We will try and resolve any disputes, claims, complaints or queries which you raise in the utilisation of RACV Car Share services.
- If we cannot resolve the dispute directly with you, this agreement will be governed by the laws of Victoria, Australia and you agree to submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Victoria, Australia to settle any dispute.
Things to be aware of when using the vehicle
14. Before using the vehicle
- You must check the car for any new damage (please consult the in-car Drivers Manual for a record of previous damage) and make sure that you report any new damage to the Customer Care Centre before driving.
- If you don’t let us know, you may be held responsible for any new damage and we may deduct any costs and expenses from your supplied credit or debit card.
- You must also check that the documents of the car and other items (administrative papers, fuel card, parking card, damage identification book) are present in the car.
- You will be required to verify that you continue to hold a valid driving licence at the start of each rental.
- You will need to check the fuel levels in the car and if you have under a quarter of a tank of fuel in the car, you’ll need to fill up, using the fuel card within the vehicle.
15. Conditions when using the vehicle
- You must use the Booking Access Code to unlock the car and to lock the car when you are not driving the car.
- The keys must not be removed from the car at any time during, or at the conclusion of, your rental.
- You are responsible for the car and anything that happens to the car from the moment that you unlock the car until your rental is completed and you lock the car.
- You are responsible for any parking fines, traffic infringements, road toll charges and any other road or traffic offences and any other charges or administration fees which are incurred while you drive and use the car up until the time you return it.
- You must not smoke or allow anyone else to smoke in the vehicle.
- No pets are allowed in the vehicle at any time, except if required as guide dogs for the visually impaired.
- Remember that fuel is provided up to the maximum included distance per booking as per the driving plan you have selected and the hourly/daily rate per booking. After that you will need to pay an additional charge per kilometre. The number of kilometres driven is determined by the onboard tracking system.
- In the event of a RACV Car Share fuel card being faulty or missing, you will be required to pay for the fuel and then seek reimbursement from RACV Car Share. To obtain reimbursement you are required to retain the tax invoice for the fuel and send it to RACV Car Share. The amount of the fuel purchase will be reimbursed by the issue of driving credit of equivalent value to the GST inclusive price of fuel purchased. You are also required to report the faulty or missing fuel card immediately to RACV Car Share on 1300 729 047.
- Remember that another member will use the car after you, so please keep it clean and tidy and take any rubbish with you when you leave the car.
- Please look at the online FAQs for any additional information on using the car.
- If a car is damaged during the period of your rental (however caused), you are responsible for that damage and you must let us know immediately about the nature and extent of that damage by calling 1300 729 047. Damage for which you are responsible may be covered by Damage Cover insurance, subject to your compliance with these terms and conditions, the terms and conditions of insurance, and your liability for any applicable damage cover excess.
- If the car breaks down, or there is a fault with the car, you must let us know immediately. Do not arrange for your own breakdown repair service or allow any other person to service or fix the car without permission from the Customer Care Centre.
- If you have an accident you must fill out an incident report form provided by the Customer Care Centre and inform the police if required. If the car is stolen you must inform the police. Let us know straight away and we will tell you what to do.
- You should not add or attach any equipment or device to the car other those pre-approved by RACV Car Share such as child seats and baby capsules.
- If you are a RACV Car Share member, regardless of whether the booking was made in your name, you are permitted to drive the car during the booking. However, any damage caused to the car will be the responsibility of the member who booked the car.
16. Returning the Car
- You must return the car before the end of your rental period; otherwise, a late return fee will be applied.
- Rental charges will continue to accrue until the car is returned to its parking space and the rental is closed.
- Ordinary wear-and-tear due to reasonable vehicle use is expected, apart from this you must return the car in the same condition in which you received it.
- At the end of the rental, inspect the car for any damage, and report it to the Customer Care Centre.
- The car must be parked in one of the RACV Car Share parking bays at the same location where you picked up the car.
- If you cannot park in the designated parking space, phone the Customer Care Centre immediately to notify them where you intend to park the car.
- Fuel is included in the rental price, but you must make sure that there is at least a quarter of a tank for the next member. If you need to fill up the car, use the fuel cards provided in the car and make sure you use the correct fuel.
- Make sure you turn off the car’s lights when you leave it.
- Remember to leave the key, the documents of the car, the fuel card, any parking permits and the damage identification record in the car and lock the car using the access code.
- At the end of the rental, on each occasion, you must ensure that you close off the rental using the ‘end rental’ button on the communications device in the car.
17. Your responsibilities as a member
- You are responsible for the car and anything that happens to the car from the moment that you unlock the car with the access code.
- You must not carry more passengers than the designed seating capacity of the car. Infants and children must be secured in child restraints as required by the law of the jurisdiction in which the car is being driven.
- You must only use the car in accordance with all road rules and other applicable laws and regulations.
- You must not use the car:
- i. for any hire or reward,
- to carry passengers for remuneration,
- for off road or on roads which are unsuitable,
- to take part in any race or contest,
- to sub-rent or for driver training,
- if you are under the influence of alcohol or any drug or medication which is prohibited,
- to carryout of any crime or any other illegal activity,
- for the towing of a trailer or vehicle,
- to carry any substance which is toxic, flammable, or which may damage the vehicle.
- If you don’t comply with the terms and conditions of use of the vehicle, you will lose the benefit of any insurance or damage cover and additional cover which you may have.
- You must continue to meet all our driving licence requirements while you are a member and whenever you use the car and to let us know if there are any changes to your licence status.
18. Schedule 1 – Additional Charges
Additional Charges for Australian Rentals
|Uninformed late return
|Rental Charge + $75
|Booking through the Customer Care Centre
|Informed late return
|Rental Charge + $50
|Return with less than ¼ tank petrol
|Vehicle not in a clean state
|Smoking in the Vehicle
|Pets in the Vehicle
|Lost Vehicle keys
|$50 per day plus the cost of replacement keys (up to $400)
|Vehicle left unlocked
|Vehicle parked in incorrect parking space
|Booking cancelled less than 6 hours before
|Full value of rental
|Road and Traffic Violations and any other applicable fines
|Cost of fine plus $25 admin fee
|Lost fuel card
|Cost of replacement plus admin fee of $25
|Lost Parking Ticket
|Cost of replacement plus admin fee of $25
|Fee for processing toll charges
|$0.75 per rental (Per day)
20. Schedule 2 – Damage Cover
When you rent and drive a RACV Car Share car and you have held a valid Australian drivers licence for more than three years you are automatically protected against damage to the car and any claims from any third person for death, personal injury or damage to property caused by the car during your rental, subject to a Damage Cover excess of $2000. If you hold a foreign drivers licence or have held your Australian drivers licence for less than three years your damage cover excess will be $3000. This means you are liable for the first $2000/$3000 of damage to (or caused by) the car and RACV Car Share is responsible for the cost of any damage above this initial $2000/$3000 so long as you abide by all our terms and conditions of membership.
If you select the Additional Cover option and pay the relevant supplements for each hourly and daily rental, you will only be responsible for damage, theft or vandalism to the vehicle for up to $300 for each time that you rent the vehicle. If the damage to the vehicle is less than $300 you will only be responsible for the lesser amount plus any administration fee and any towing costs. RACV Car Share will cover any damage valued at more than $300 unless the damage occurs due to your negligence.
If you put the wrong fuel into the vehicle, you will be charged the full amount of $1500.
If the vehicle is stolen, you will only be charged $300.
Please remember that the Additional Cover only protects you as long as you have followed all the rules of the membership and have used the car in accordance with the terms and conditions AND the damage was not caused intentionally or by the negligence of you or an authorised driver.
Additional Cover options are not available to drivers under 21.
How much will this cost?
The Additional Cover option is applied to your whole membership and chargeable as a supplement on each hourly and daily booking. The additional reduced-excess damage cover fee is a supplementary $2 per hour up a maximum of $20 per day.
Damage Cover Excess Amounts for Australian RACV Car Share Rentals
|Standard Cover, drivers 21 and older with a valid Australian drivers licence for the past three years
|Standard Cover, drivers 21 and older with a valid foreign drivers licence or a valid Australian licence for less than three years
|Young Drivers (under 21)
|Additional Cover plan