Citrus fruits, plums, cherries, apricots, and peaches
‘Stone’ fruits like peaches, or those with big pips like cherries, are a big no-no for dogs, as the seeds of these contain cyanide, and the large pips can be a choking hazard.
Citrus plants and fruits (including the leaves, stems and peels) also contain citric acid, which can cause an upset stomach at best, and big problems to the dog’s central nervous system at worst.
Dairy, including chocolate
Come dessert time, your dog may be looking up at with their big eyes ready for a lick of ice cream, a square of chocolate, or the remainder of the milk in your cereal bowl. Unfortunately like many humans, dogs are lactose intolerant which leads to diarrhoea and stomach problems, meaning dairy is off the table (and bowl).
Bacon and other fatty meats
While many dog owners may have been guilty of slipping their dog some bacon, ham or chops for being a 'very good dog', this is one habit that should be broken, fast. Fatty meats can lead to very sore stomachs and pancreatitis in dogs, which can be very painful.
Stick to the meats in the dog food section instead – and make sure they’re not served too hot for their sensitive tongues to enjoy!
Raw meat and eggs
While there may be those who subscribe to raw meat diets, on a general scale, vets for animal bodies such as the RSPCA or The Human Society discourage feeding dogs raw meat and eggs, which can lead to salmonella poisoning, e coli infections, parasites and skin conditions.
Sweeteners, gum, sugary foods, salty snacks, and lollies
Whilst treats are a ‘sometimes’ food even for humans, in dogs, they can be fatal because of a sweetener ingredient called ‘xylitol,’ which can lead to possible liver failure, while sugary content can lead to dental issues (just like us!)
Handing your dog one of your chips or salty snacks is no good either – the high sodium content can lead to thirst and dehydration. Stick to doggo treats instead – your pup will be none the wiser!
Toxic mushroom ingestion in dogs can lead to liver failure, and even death. Whilst not all mushrooms are toxic to dogs, the fact that some might be is caution enough to make sure you don’t feed these to your canine friend.
Corn on the cob
Many of those with dogs will know they can be extremely food-motivated, and therefore not know when to stop when it comes to dinnertime. A corn on the cob is not safe, as overly enthusiastic hounds may look to swallow it whole, which can get lodged in their intestines. Make sure to give them plain kernels like you would a small child instead.
What if my dog accidentally has these foods?
If your dog does accidentally ingest any of the foods above, you should immediately contact your local vet or animal hospital for treatment.