Deliciously easy sticky date pudding
Nothing beats a classic. And this superbly simple sticky date pudding is sure to impress.
Sticky date pudding has to be one of the all-time dessert heroes. And this sweet, toffee-laced treat from RACV Cape Shanck's executive pastry chef Shannon Thirumal is sure to tempt your tastebuds. Loaded with fresh dates and drizzled with salted toffee sauce, it's the stuff of which after-dinner dreams are made.
Have yourself a sticky date with this easy recipe from the chefs at RACV Cape Schanck Resort.
- Pre-heat oven to 150°C.
- Grease pudding moulds or cake tin with butter.
- Soak the dates with the water and bicarb for 30 min.
- Cream butter and sugar together in a bowl.
- Add in 1 egg at a time and beat until incorporated.
- Add the flour and baking powder, followed by the dates and all their liquid, and the vanilla essence.
- Pour into moulds. If making individual puddings, use a dariole mould or a muffin tin. Fill to about 3/4.*
- Steam bake for 10-12 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.**
- When you remove from the oven, using a skewer or toothpick, prick a few holes in the tops of the puddings and pour over some of the sauce (about a teaspoon per pudding). Allow to soak in.
- Place all ingredients in a pot and bring to a low boil, stirring continuously until sugar dissolves.
- Turn heat to low and simmer until sauce has reduced by half.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge and warm before use.
- Flip puddings out of their molds.
- Drizzle with warm toffee sauce.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or custard and a handful of crushed pecans (optional)
*If you'd prefer to bake this as a single sticky date pudding, pour the batter into a regular cake pan and cook for an extra 15 minutes.
**This is also known as a water bath. Put the moulds (or cake tin) into a baking pan large enough to hold them, then pour a couple of inches of hot water into the pan. If you're using a springform cake tin, be sure to wrap in foil before submerging in the water bath.