RACV is urging would-be tradies to exercise extra caution this Easter long weekend with thousands of Victorians expected to turn their attention to DIY home improvement projects as a result of COVID-19 restrictions.
RACV’s General Manager of Home, Darren Turner, said safety should be top of mind when it comes to DIY projects.
“There’s nothing wrong with tackling simple DIY jobs over the long weekend, such as painting a room, fixing a leaking tap, cleaning out your gutters (with the help of someone to hold the ladder) or fixing a fly screen,” Mr Turner said.
“But then there are other jobs that you should always leave to the professionals, including major plumbing work; anything involving electricity or gas; fixing heating or cooling systems; replacing broken glass; and, any major structural work, such as removing a wall.
“Under the current rules, tradies can keep working throughout the COVID-19 situation, as long as they follow the proper social distancing and safety rules, like everybody else,” he said.
RACV has the following tips for Victorians carrying out DIY jobs this Easter long weekend:
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) to protect against asbestos, lead paint and mould
- Avoid lifting heavy equipment, and if necessary, follow the correct lifting technique and ask friend for support
- When using ladders, make sure they are positioned on flat surfaces
- Be mindful of powerlines when moving timber planks, ladders or piping
- Always outsource electrical work to a licensed electrician
- Exercise caution when using chemicals and household poisons
- Keep an eye on the weather and delay outdoors work if rain or thunderstorms are forecast.
RACV has a collection of qualified tradespeople standing-by, and ready to tackle any home improvement job, big or small.
If you need a tradie call 13 RACV or visit RACV Home Trades & Services.
Check out RoyalAuto’s handy DIY guide and remember, if things do go wrong help is just a phone call away with RACV Emergency Home Assist open 24/7.
For media enquiries, interviews or images, contact RACV’s Media & Communications team on 03 9790 2572 or 0417 041 398 or email@example.com.