• Protection for your home and contents

    RACV Combined Home and Contents Insurance covers both your home and its contents when they’ve been damaged as a result of an insured event such as fire, theft or storm. It can cover things like temporary accommodation for you and your furry friend, replacing keys and locks, rebuilding a shed or replacing carpet damaged by a flood. Optional cover for accidental damage, portable and valuable items is also available. For full details, see our policy documents.

What you're covered for

With an RACV Combined Home & Contents Insurance policy, you'll be covered for a range of events, such as fire, theft and storm. Here's a summary of what's included:

  • Buildings and fixtures such as light fittings and kitchen cupboards. Includes garage, carport, fences, and in-ground pools.
  • Up to $20 million in liability cover to handle a claim made against you or your family for an incident that takes place at your home or site which causes death or injury to someone else, or causes loss or damage to someone else's property.
  • New for old cover if an insured item is stolen, damaged or destroyed by any event listed in your policy.
  • Costs to meet in-force building regulations to repair or rebuild a part of your home damaged by an insured event.
  • Credit card theft: Up to $1000 towards any money you must pay your credit card company if your card is stolen from your home and used without consent and your theft claim is covered.
  • Spoiled food or prescription medication replacement costs up to $500 if an insured event interrupts the electricity supply to your fridge or freezer.
  • Demolition and debris removal and costs to make your site safe, such as temporary fencing, once reviewed and agreed to.

This is only a summary of the inclusions for RACV Combined Home Buildings and Contents Insurance. For more information, such as conditions, limits and exclusions, please read the Product Disclosure Statement.

Optional extras

Looking for a little extra protection? You can boost your cover by adding options to your policy. If you do this, you’ll need to pay extra. 

Accidental Damage inside the home
Accidents happen. Get cover for unintentional damage around your home and to your contents, like accidentally knocking over your TV or damaging the floorboards.

Valuable Items inside the home
The standard policy provides cover for $2,500 under each category (for example, works of art and jewellery and watches). You can increase your level of cover for any of these categories by letting us know what amount above $2,500 you’d like to insure your valuables for.

Portable Items anywhere in Australia and New Zealand
Insure items you or your family might take with you when you leave your home such as phones or laptops. Covered up to $10,000 (unless you list it separately for more). If you take your items outside Australia or New Zealand, the most we pay is $10,000 for all items.

Burn out of electrical motors – fusion
That are less than 15 years old, not covered by a warranty or used for a business, trade or profession and permanently attached fixtures, such as in a ducted air conditioning unit.

What's not covered

These are a few examples of things not covered by RACV Combined Home Buildings and Contents Insurance. Make sure you check the Product Disclosure Statement for a full list of conditions, limits and exclusions.

  • Loss or damage caused intentionally by you, by someone living in your home or by someone who has been given consent to enter your home.
  • Subsidence or landslide unless it happens immediately as a result of an earthquake, explosion, storm, flood, rainwater run-off or storm surge.
  • Vermin or insects – such as termite damage.
  • Loose or unset gemstones.
  • Plants, trees or shrubs growing in the ground (however potted plants are covered).
  • Trailers, caravans, motor vehicles, golf buggies or carts.
  • Stock used in any business trade or profession.

Ways you can save with RACV

mature couple sitting on couch laughing

Are you 50 years or over?

You’re eligible for RACV Prime Cover Home and Contents Insurance which provides a nil excess option so you don’t have to pay any basic excess.

mature couple sitting on couch laughing

Reduced premium if you're 50 years or over

50 or over? You're eligible for RACV Prime Cover Home Contents Insurance with reduced premium and additional benefits like an option for a nil excess so you don't have to pay any basic excess.

Useful links

For full details on how you’re covered read the Home Insurance Product Disclosure Statement


What's Accidental damage cover in my home insurance policy?

Accidental damage cover protects you when unintentional damage occurs in your home.

For example, if your child accidentally knocks over your TV and the screen breaks, or if you’re in your roof and you accidentally put your foot through the ceiling.

Whether your building or contents are covered (or both) depends on your policy.

Can I choose my own repairer for my home repairs?

Yes; but keep in mind that if you choose not to use a Partner Repairer, the repairs will need to be arranged and managed by you and anything that goes wrong (like faulty workmanship) will not be covered by your policy.

You’ll also only be paid the fair and reasonable amount that the repairs should cost.

What’s the difference between General, Valuable and Portable contents?

General contents are items you keep in and around your home that aren't permanently attached or fixed to the home's structure, like furniture, furnishings, carpets, electrical items and clothes.

Valuable contents are covered as part of your general contents, however only up to $2500 and for these categories:

  • Works of art
  • Music games and movies
  • Collections
  • Jewellery and watches

Under Valuable contents, you can decide to insure these items for more than what would normally be paid out.

Portable contents are items you or your family own that you might take outside of your home.

How will my claim for contents items be settled?

It depends on the item.

Contents items such as electrical items are generally referred to a specialist supplier that can assist in the replacement process.

Sometimes your claim may be settled with a store credit or cash settlement and where possible, repair or restore content items.

Can I insure for more than your online building and contents calculators say?

Yes you can. The calculation is a guide only. It's up to you to make sure your home and contents are insured for their full replacement value.

However, if you insure your home or contents for more than the cost to repair, replace or rebuild, you will only be covered for the actual costs of repairing, replacing or rebuilding.

RACV Home Insurance is issued by Insurance Manufacturers of Australia Pty Limited ABN 93 004 208 084 AFS Licence No. 227678. The information on this website is general advice only so before making any decisions, please consider your own circumstances and the Product Disclosure Statement.

^ On existing policies discount takes effect at next renewal. Excludes Travel, Business, Farm, Single Item and Pet Insurance products. 

Looking for something else? Explore our other insurance products