Woman in a black blazer holding a green pot plant indoors

Contents Insurance

Protect what makes your house a home with flexible cover for your valuables

Thank you for contacting us

Your reference number is

We'll contact you within 72 hours and may ask for this reference number.

What's Contents Insurance?

RACV Contents Insurance covers the cost to repair or replace things you keep inside your home that have been damaged as a result of an insured event. It includes furniture and rugs, fridges, washing machines, TVs and more. You can also customise your policy, and choose optional extras to suit your needs.

Key benefits

  • Theft, even when you forget to lock your door**.
  • Up to $1,000 if your credit card is stolen from your home and used.
  • Up to $500 to replace spoiled food or prescription medication if an insured event interrupts electricity supply to your fridge or freezer.

More than just great home insurance

Local care

Speak to our Australian-based team when you need help. They're available from 7am-11pm every day for general enquiries, and 24/7 for claims.

Cover to suit your lifestyle

Choose optional extras like accidental damage cover, and cover for valuable items inside the home, or portable items you take out of home.

Pay your way

Pay the way that suits you – annually or monthly. Plus, you may be able to reduce your premium upfront by selecting a higher basic excess.

Stay with us and save

Save on your policy with discounts the longer you’re with us.# Plus, take out two or more eligible insurance policies and save up to 10% on each.*

What does Contents Insurance cover?

With an RACV Home Contents Insurance policy, you'll be covered for a range of events, such as fire, theft and storm. Here's a summary of what's included:

Credit card theft

Up to $1,000 towards any money you must pay your credit card company if your card is stolen from your home and used without consent and your theft claim is covered.

New for old cover

If we replace an item after it is stolen or damaged, we will replace it new for old as standard.

Spoiled food or prescription medication

Replacement costs up to $500 if an insured event interrupts the electricity supply to your fridge or freezer.

Up to $20 million in liability cover

To handle a claim made against you or your family for an incident that takes place outside the site which causes death or injury to someone else, or causes loss or damage to someone else's property.

This is only a summary of the inclusions for RACV Contents Insurance. For more information, such as conditions, limits and exclusions, please read the Product Disclosure Statement.

These are a few examples of things not covered by RACV Contents Insurance. Make sure you check the Product Disclosure Statement for a full list of conditions, limits and exclusions.

Loose or unset gemstones.

Trailers, caravans, motor vehicles, golf buggies or carts.

Plants, trees or shrubs growing in the ground (however potted plants are covered).

Buildings and fixtures such as light fittings and kitchen cupboards. Includes garage, carport, fences, in-ground pools and spas.

Stock used in any business, trade or profession.

Looking for a little extra protection? You can boost your cover by adding options to your policy. If you do this, you’ll need to pay extra.

Accidental Damage inside the home

Prone to a lot of ‘oops!’ moments? Get cover for unintentional damage to your general contents or valuable items. It covers things like accidentally knocking over your TV.

Portable items

Insure items you or your family might take with you when you leave your home, such as phones or laptops. Covered up to $10,000 (unless you list it separately for more). If you take your items outside Australia or New Zealand, the most payable is $10,000 for all items.

Burn out of electrical motors – fusion damage

That are less than 15 years old, not covered by a warranty or used for a business, trade or profession and permanently attached fixtures, such as in a ducted air conditioning unit.

Valuable Items inside the home

The standard policy provides cover for $2,500 under each category (for example, works of art and jewellery and watches). You can increase your level of cover for any of these categories by calling us and letting us know what amount above $2,500 you’d like to insure your valuables for.

Compare insurance products for homeowners

Home Buildings & Contents Insurance

Contents Insurance

Building Insurance

This is a summary only. Refer to the Product Disclosure Statement for a full list of conditions, limits and exclusions.

Getting started

If you’re new to buying insurance, don’t worry – it’s easier than you think. 

  • Calculate the sum insured

    This should be enough to repair or replace your home and/or contents after an insured event. If you need help, use our building calculator or contents calculator.^

  • Get a quote

    You can get a quote online or by calling us on 13 72 28 (we’re here 7am – 11pm, 365 days a year).

  • Review your quote

    Check your coverage and excess to make sure they’re right for you.

  • Buy your policy

    Once you’re ready, you can buy your policy online or over the phone.

Make a claim or manage your policy

Make or manage a claim

Lodge and manage claims online or by calling the claims team on 13 19 03.

Manage your policy

Log in to your online account to view policy documents, or update your personal details and payment methods. For other changes, call 13 72 28.

Frequently asked questions

Basically, you let us know how much it would cost to replace all your items at today's prices and RACV Insurance will cover your belongings for a range of insured events.

For example, you're covered if:

  • your belongings are burned in a house or apartment fire
  • your carpets and furniture are damaged because of flooding
  • a thief breaks into your home and steals your belongings (including mobile phones, TVs and laptops).

Not sure how much your contents are worth? Use our contents calculator as a guide.*

Ready to get started? Get a quote today.

Basically, contents are household items that you own and aren't permanently attached to your home.

They include things like:

  • furniture and appliances
  • clothing and linen
  • mobile phones, computers and tablets
  • internal blinds
  • curtains and drapes
  • carpets and rugs
  • furnishings
  • medical equipment
  • toys
  • tools.

For a full list of what you can cover, see the Product Disclosure Statement.

The amount you insure your contents for (we call that the ‘sum insured’ or your ‘contents value’) should be enough to repair or replace all your belongings if you were buying them new today.

  • If you underinsure your contents, you may be caught short if you have to totally repair and replace them
  • If you insure your contents for more than it costs to repair and replace them, you’ll only be able to claim the actual cost to do so.

You can use our contents calculator as a guide.*

When you get a quote for Contents Insurance, we’ll calculate the cost (we call that your ‘premium’) using various details, including:

  • the type of property you live in and where it’s located
  • the replacement value of the contents you need covered
  • whether you need accidental damage cover inside your home
  • whether you need portable cover for the items you take outside your home
  • the people on your policy (plus their insurance and claims history)
  • any discounts you’re eligible for
  • the excess you choose for your policy
  • any compulsory government charges (such as Stamp Duty or GST).

Keep in mind that your premium can change each year when you renew your policy. You can also choose to change your basic excess at your policy renewal time through your online account.

Want to know what your premium could be? Get a quote today.

Your contents are covered for a range of events including fire, flood, storm or theft.

However, you're not covered for:

  • pre-existing damage to your contents
  • loss or damage that is deliberately caused by members of your household or guests
  • damage caused by vermin or insects, including termites.

There are also some items that aren't covered, like:

  • stock used in a business, trade or profession
  • loose or unset gemstones
  • plants, trees and shrubs growing in the ground.

For full details of what is and isn't covered, see the Product Disclosure Statement.

This policy only covers for items inside your home, if you want buildings cover too, check out Combined Buildings and Contents Insurance.

If you choose to add accidental damage to your Contents Insurance policy, you’ll be covered for any unintentional damage to belongings in your home.

So, if you knock your TV over, break a vase or spill red wine on your white carpet, RACV Insurance will help you sort it out. 

Keep in mind that a $300 excess will apply for accidental damage claims.

You sure can. You can either take out one policy to cover everyone's contents or take out your own policy with just your contents.

You can only cover belongings owned by people listed on the policy, so if you get insurance as a group, make sure to add everyone's names to the policy.

Yes, your carpets and rugs are all covered under your Contents Insurance.

So, if they're damaged due to an insured event like fire, flood or storm, you're covered.

When you take out Contents Insurance, you can add portable items to your policy. This covers items if they're lost or stolen anywhere in Australia or New Zealand. You'll also get limited cover anywhere else in the world.

We'll ask you for the value of your contents across different categories.

They include:

  • electronics (including mobile phones, wearable technology, tablets or laptops)
  • jewellery and watches
  • glasses, sunglasses and hearing aids
  • wheelchairs, scooters and prosthetic limbs
  • camping, sporting and recreation equipment (including musical instruments)
  • clothing and luggage (including handbags and wallets).

Some of your general contents can be covered if they're in storage in Australia.

Before you move them into storage, you need to tell RACV Insurance:

  • the value of the items
  • about the new storage location (to make sure it meets our criteria).

To see what can be covered in storage, check the Product Disclosure Statement.

Call 13 72 28 to chat to the team.

It depends on the item. Where possible, your items will be repaired or restored.

Some items (like fridges, washing machines and electrical appliances) can be replaced by a specialist supplier.

Other ways your claim can be settled are by giving you a store credit or a cash payout.

You can make a claim online by logging in, or by calling 13 19 03.

To check the cover on your policy, call us on 13 72 28.

General contents 
These are items that are kept in or around your home but aren’t permanently fixed to the house. Think furniture, carpets, electronics and clothes. 

Valuables contents 
These are things like art, music, games, movies, jewellery, watches and other collections.

Tips and advice to keep your home secure

** Following an incident we insure.

# RACV Years of Membership: at 5 years Bronze cardholders receive a 5% discount, at 10 years Silver cardholders receive a 10% discount, at 25 years Gold cardholders receive a 15% discount and at 51 years Gold 50 cardholders receive a 20% discount.

* The Multi-Policy Discount and Years of Membership Benefits exclude Travel, Business and Farm Insurance products. To qualify for the Multi-Policy Discount, you must hold two eligible RACV Insurance policies. For further details, see the Premium, Excess and Discounts guide at racv.com.au. Discounts will only be applied until any applicable minimum premium is reached. On renewal, any increases or decreases in your premium may be limited by factors such as your previous year’s premium. You may not save more with more eligible policies and by staying with RACV Insurance longer if a minimum premium is reached, or limits have been applied to increases or decreases in your premium.

^ The RACV Home Buildings and Home Contents Calculators provide an indication of rebuilding or replacement costs only and in no way guarantees the amount RACV Insurance may agree to insure your home or contents for. It is your responsibility to check that this amount is enough to cover the rebuilding costs of your home or replacement costs of your home’s contents at today’s prices. Before you decide whether to buy or continue to hold RACV Home Insurance, you should calculate the actual replacement value of your home and contents and consider the information in the Product Disclosure Statement.

The information provided is general advice only. Before making any decisions please consider your own circumstances and the Product Disclosure Statement and Target Market Determinations. For copies, visit racv.com.au. As distributor, RACV Insurance Services Pty Ltd AFS Licence No. 230039 receives commission for each policy sold or renewed. Product(s) issued by Insurance Manufacturers of Australia Pty Ltd ABN 93 004 208 084 AFS Licence No. 227678.