• Protection for your home

    Your home is usually your biggest investment – so it’s important to protect it. RACV Home Buildings Insurance covers the cost to repair or rebuild your home when it has been damaged as a result of an insured event, such as fire, theft or storm. For full details, see our policy documents.

What you're covered for

With an RACV Home Buildings Insurance policy, you'll be covered for a range of events, such as fire, theft and storm. Here's a summary of what's included:

  • Buildings and fixtures such as light fittings and kitchen cupboards. Includes garage, carport, fences, and in-ground pools.
  • Building materials at your home – such as bricks, tiles and timber – are covered up to $1000 for loss or damage as a result of an insured event.
  • Temporary accommodation if you can’t live in your home as a result of an insured event. This also includes temporary accommodation for your pet, the removal and storage of your contents, and for any costs we agree are reasonable and appropriate. 
  • Demolition and debris removal and costs to make your site safe, such as temporary fencing, once reviewed and agreed to.
  • Costs to meet in-force building regulations to repair or rebuild a part of your home damaged by an insured event.
  • Up to $20 million in liability cover to handle a claim made against you or your family for an incident that takes place at your home or site which causes death or injury to someone else, or causes loss or damage to someone else's property.

This is only a summary of the inclusions for RACV Home Buildings Insurance. For more information, such as conditions, limits and exclusions, please read the Product Disclosure Statement.

Optional extras

Looking for a little extra protection? You can boost your cover by adding options to your policy. If you do this, you’ll need to pay extra. 

Accidental damage inside the home
Mishaps happen. Get cover for unintentional damage around your home, like when you're in the roof space and accidentally put your foot through the ceiling.

Burn out of electric motors – fusion 
That are less than 15 years old, not covered by a warranty or used for a business, trade or profession and permanently attached fixtures, such as in a ducted air conditioning unit. 

What's not covered

These are a few examples of things not covered by RACV Home Buildings Insurance. Make sure you check the Product Disclosure Statement for a full list of conditions, limits and exclusions.

  • Loss or damage caused intentionally by you, by someone living in your home or by someone who has been given consent to enter your home.
  • Vermin or insects – such as termite damage.
  • Subsidence or landslide unless it happens immediately as a result of an earthquake, explosion, storm, flood, rainwater run-off or storm surge. 

Ways you can save with RACV

mature couple sitting on couch laughing

Are you 50 years or over?

You’re eligible for RACV Prime Cover Home and Contents Insurance which provides a nil excess option so you don’t have to pay any basic excess.

mature couple sitting on couch laughing

Reduced premium if you're 50 years or over

50 or over? You are eligible for RACV Prime Cover Home Contents Insurance with reduced premium and additional benefits such as an option for a nil excess so you don't have to pay any basic excess.

Useful links


What's Accidental damage cover in my home insurance policy?

Accidental damage cover protects you when unintentional damage occurs around your home.

For example, if your child accidentally knocks over your TV and the screen breaks, or if you’re in your roof and you accidentally put your foot through the ceiling.

Whether your building or contents are covered (or both) depends on your policy.

Can I choose my own repairer for my home repairs?

Yes; but keep in mind that if you choose not to use a Partner Repairer, the repairs will need to be arranged and managed by you and anything that goes wrong (like faulty workmanship) will not be covered by your policy.

You’ll also only be paid the fair and reasonable amount that the repairs should cost.

Who will repair my home?

A trusted network of Partner Repairers and suppliers will be engaged to assist in your claims process.

Rest assured only suitably qualified repairers and leading retailers will be engaged to assist with your claim.

A lifetime guarantee is provided on the workmanship of repairs when your home is repaired or rebuilt by a Partner Repairer and those repairs have been authorised as part of a claim.

Can I insure for more than your online building calculator says?

Yes. The calculation that's provided is a guide only. It's up to you to make sure your home is insured for its full replacement value.

However, if you insure your home for more than the cost to repair, replace or rebuild, you will only be covered for the actual cost of repairing, replacing or rebuilding.

For full details on how you’re covered read the Home Insurance Product Disclosure Statement

RACV Home Insurance is issued by Insurance Manufacturers of Australia Pty Limited ABN 93 004 208 084 AFS Licence No. 227678. The information on this website is general advice only so before making any decisions, please consider your own circumstances and the Product Disclosure Statement.

^ On existing policies discount takes effect at next renewal. Excludes Travel, Business, Farm, Single Item and Pet Insurance products. 

Looking for something else? Explore our other insurance products