Woman standing in her kitchen holding a white mug and staring out the window.

Home and Contents Insurance

Rest easy knowing you’re covered by Victoria’s market leader for home insurance.

Thank you for contacting us

Your reference number is

We'll contact you within 72 hours and may ask for this reference number.

What is Home and Contents Insurance?

RACV Home Buildings and Contents Insurance covers both your home and its contents when they’ve been damaged as a result of an insured event, such as fire, theft or storm. It can also cover the cost to repair:

  • unintentional fire damage regardless of where it occurs – including fireplaces
  • water damage caused by a faulty washing machine or dishwasher
  • impact damage from a vehicle accidentally reversing into your garage door.

Key benefits

  • Comprehensive fire and flood damage.
  • Temporary accommodation for you and your pets.
  • Theft, even when you forget to lock your door.

More than just great home insurance

Local care

Speak to our Australian-based team when you need help. They're available from 7am – 11pm every day for general enquiries, and 24/7 for claims.

Pay your way

Pay the way that suits you – annually or monthly. Plus, you can reduce your premium upfront by selecting a higher basic excess.

Everyday savings

Save on exclusive offers and discounts with us, and our retail, entertainment, and travel partners.

Stay with us and save

Save on your policy with discounts the longer you’re with us.# Plus, take out two or more eligible insurance policies and save up to 10% on each.*

What does building and contents insurance cover?

With an RACV Home Buildings and Contents Insurance policy, you'll be covered for a range of events, such as fire, theft and storm. Here's a summary of what's included:

Buildings and fixtures

Such as light fittings, cupboards, floors and carpet. Includes your home, garage, carport, fences and in-ground pools.

Demolition and debris removal

Including costs to make your home and the surrounding area safe, such as temporary fencing, once reviewed and agreed to.

New for old cover

If we replace an item after it is stolen or damaged, we will replace it new for old as standard.

Costs to meet in-force building regulations

To repair or rebuild a part of your home damaged by an insured event where fixes might require a permit to meet State and National codes.

Rebuilding costs

If a listed event causes loss or damage to your home and you need to pay certain fees to repair or rebuild it, you’ll be covered for the reasonable fees for architects, engineers or surveyors and other trades.

Up to $20 million in liability cover

To handle a claim made against you or your family for an incident that takes place at your home or site (Buildings), or outside the site (Contents) which causes death or injury to someone else or causes loss or damage to someone else's property.

Read the Product Disclosure Statement for a full list and description of items covered in building, contents and combined policies. The Premium, Excess and Discounts guide (PED) provides further details on how we calculate your premium, excess levels and discounts.

Here are some examples of what’s not covered by RACV Home Buildings and Contents Insurance. Make sure you check the Product Disclosure Statement for a full list of conditions, limits and exclusions.

Loss or damage caused intentionally by you, by someone living in your home or by someone who has been given consent to enter your home.

Plants, trees or shrubs growing in the ground of your property (however potted plants are covered).

Subsidence or landslide unless it happens immediately as a result of an earthquake, explosion, storm, flood, rainwater run-off or storm surge.

Trailers, caravans, motor vehicles, golf buggies or carts. 

Vermin or insects – such as termite damage.

Stock used in any business, trade or profession.

Loose or unset gemstones.

Accidental Damage inside the home

Get cover for unintentional damage around your home and to your contents, like accidentally knocking over your TV or you’re in the roof space and accidentally put your foot through the ceiling.

Portable items

Insure items you or your family might take with you when you leave your home, such as phones or laptops. Covered up to $10,000 (unless you list it separately for more). If you take your items outside Australia or New Zealand, the most payable is $10,000 for all items.

Burn out of electrical motors – fusion damage

This type of damage can be caused by power surges or sudden fluctuations in electricity supply, which can cause the motor in appliances such as dishwashers and washing machines to burn out. This cover applies to appliances that are less than 15 years old, and are not covered by a warranty or used for a business, trade or profession..

Valuable Items inside the home

The standard policy provides cover for $2,500 under each category (for example, works of art and jewellery and watches). You can increase your level of cover for any of these categories by calling us and letting us know what amount above $2,500 you’d like to insure your valuables for.

Compare insurance products for homeowners

Home Buildings & Contents Insurance

Contents Insurance

Building Insurance

This is a summary only. Refer to the Product Disclosure Statement for a full list of conditions, limits and exclusions.

Getting started

If you’re new to buying insurance, don’t worry – it’s easier than you think. 

  • Calculate the sum insured

    This should be enough to repair or replace your home and/or contents after an insured event. If you need help, use our building calculator or contents calculator.^

  • Get a quote

    You can get a quote online or by calling us on 13 72 28 (we’re here 7am – 11pm, 365 days a year).

  • Review your quote

    Check your coverage and excess to make sure they’re right for you.

  • Buy your policy

    Once you’re ready, you can buy your policy online or over the phone.

Make a claim or manage your policy

Make or manage a claim

Lodge and manage claims online or by calling the claims team on 13 19 03.

Manage your policy

Log in to your online account to view policy documents, or update your personal details and payment methods. For other changes, call 13 72 28.

Frequently asked questions

Yes, your phone will be covered for all listed events at home, if you include its value in your general contents. 

You can also add accidental damage cover, to help protect you for things like dropping your phone and cracking your screen when you’re at home. 

If you want your phone to be covered if it's damaged, lost or stolen while you're away from home, you can add it to your policy as a portable item. 

You can also add other types of portable technology like laptops, tablets and smart watches. 

To update your policy call us on 13 72 28.

For full details of what is and isn't covered, see the Product Disclosure Statement.

Your home and contents are covered for a range of events including fire, flood, theft or storm.* 

However, you’re not covered for: 

  • pre-existing damage to your building or contents
  • wear and tear
  • loss or damage that is deliberately caused by members of your household or guests
  • damage caused by vermin or insects, including termites
  • landslide or sinking/subsidence, unless it happens as a result of an insured weather event
  • plants, trees and shrubs growing in the ground
  • any vehicles kept on your property
  • stock used in a business, trade or profession
  • loose or unset gemstones

*Unless you have chosen to remove Flood, Rainwater run-off or Storm Surge cover where we have identified your home at risk of flooding. Other conditions apply including that damage caused by actions of the sea is not covered.

For full details of what is and isn’t covered, see the Product Disclosure Statement.

It depends on the work you're doing. 

You're covered for:

  • insured events when your renovations are only internal cosmetic changes (like painting or replacing your carpet)
  • up to $1000 for building materials (like bricks and tiles) 
  • up to $1000 for items that are due to be fitted (like a dishwasher).

You're not covered for: 

  • damage to building or contents as a direct result of building works
  • storm or water damage when the interior of the home is left exposed.

You may want to update the amount your home is insured for, to make sure it's enough to cover your renovations. 

Let us know about your renovations 
Call 13 72 28 to chat about how renovations might affect your cover. You should tell us:

  • when you expect to start and finish the work 
  • how much it’s likely to cost 
  • a detailed description of the work, including which rooms are affected 
  • who will live in your home during the renovation.

For terms and conditions, read the Product Disclosure Statement.

Buildings Insurance 
This policy covers the buildings and structures on your property. This includes fences, sheds, solar panels and garages. 

Contents Insurance 
This policy provides covers for the things you keep inside your home, such as: 

  • furniture and appliances
  • clothing and linen
  • carpets and rugs.

You can also add optional cover for portable and valuable items. 

Combined Buildings and Contents Insurance 
Get the best of both worlds with a combined policy. This provides cover for both the structures on your property and your belongings. 

Landlord Insurance 
This policy covers things that regular home insurance does, with a few extras specific to properties with tenants. 

You can choose from three options: 

  1. contents cover
  2. buildings cover
  3. combined building and contents cover. 

Renters Insurance 
If you’re renting, this policy provides cover for your contents and belongings, kept in your home. You can also add a few extras specific to being a tenant.

For full details of what is and isn’t covered, see the Product Disclosure Statement.

If you choose to add accidental damage to your Combined Building and Contents policy, you’ll be covered for any unintentional damage to your home or belongings.

So, if you knock over your TV, put your foot through the ceiling while you’re in the roof space, spill some red wine on a white carpet or a rogue tennis ball breaks your window, RACV Insurance will help you sort it out.

Keep in mind that a $300 excess will apply for accidental damage claims.

Yes, you can. You’ll be paid the fair and reasonable amount that the repairs should cost, but you’ll need to manage and arrange the repairs yourself.

Plus, if anything goes wrong (like faulty workmanship), it won’t be covered by your policy. Any repairs organised by RACV Insurance will have a lifetime guarantee.

General contents
These are items that are kept in or around your home but aren’t permanently fixed to the house. Think furniture, carpets, electronics and clothes.

Valuable contents
You’re automatically covered for up to $2500 in each of these categories:

  • Art
  • Music, games and movies
  • Collections
  • Jewellery and watches.

If you want to insure items in these categories for more than this, you can list them as valuable contents.

When you take out Combined Building and Contents Insurance, we’ll ask you to tell us the value of your portable contents across different categories.

We’ll only ask for a description if your item is worth more than $10,000.

The categories include:

  • electronics (including mobile phones, wearable technology, tablets or laptops)
  • jewellery and watches
  • glasses, sunglasses and hearing aids
  • wheelchairs, scooters and prosthetic limbs
  • camping, sporting and recreation equipment (including musical instruments)
  • clothing and luggage (including handbags and wallets).

If you list these items on your policy, they will be covered anywhere in Australia and New Zealand.

Some of your general contents can be covered if they’re in storage in Australia.

Before you move them into storage, you need to tell RACV Insurance:

  • the value of the items
  • where you’ll store them (to make sure it meets our criteria).

To see what can be covered in storage, check the Product Disclosure Statement.

Call 13 72 28 to chat to the team.

It depends on the item. Where possible, your items will be repaired or restored.

Some items (like fridges, washing machines and electrical appliances) can be replaced by a specialist supplier.

Other ways your claim can be settled are by giving you a store credit or a cash payout.

You can make a claim online by logging in, or by calling 13 19 03.

To check the cover on your policy, call us on 13 72 28.

Tips and advice to keep your home secure

* The Multi-Policy Discount and Years of Membership Benefits exclude Travel, Business and Farm Insurance products. To qualify for the Multi-Policy Discount, you must hold two eligible RACV Insurance policies. For further details, see the Premium, Excess and Discounts guide at racv.com.au. Discounts will only be applied until any applicable minimum premium is reached. On renewal, any increases or decreases in your premium may be limited by factors such as your previous year’s premium. You may not save more with more eligible policies and by staying with RACV Insurance longer if a minimum premium is reached, or limits have been applied to increases or decreases in your premium.

# RACV Years of Membership: at 5 years Bronze cardholders receive a 5% discount, at 10 years Silver cardholders receive a 10% discount, at 25 years Gold cardholders receive a 15% discount and at 51 years Gold 50 cardholders receive a 20% discount.

^ The RACV Home Buildings and Home Contents Calculators provide an indication of rebuilding or replacement costs only and in no way guarantees the amount RACV Insurance may agree to insure your home or contents for. It is your responsibility to check that this amount is enough to cover the rebuilding costs of your home or replacement costs of your home’s contents at today’s prices. Before you decide whether to buy or continue to hold RACV Home Insurance, you should calculate the actual replacement value of your home and contents and consider the information in the Product Disclosure Statement.

The information provided is general advice only. Before making any decisions please consider your own circumstances and the Product Disclosure Statement and Target Market Determinations. For copies, visit racv.com.au. As distributor, RACV Insurance Services Pty Ltd AFS Licence No. 230039 receives commission for each policy sold or renewed. Product(s) issued by Insurance Manufacturers of Australia Pty Ltd ABN 93 004 208 084 AFS Licence No. 227678.