What is Buildings Insurance?

RACV Home Buildings insurance covers the cost to rebuild or repair the structure of your home and other buildings (like a shed or garage) on your property when the damage is caused by an insured event.

Buildings Insurance doesn’t just cover your main structure; it also includes permanent fixtures that make up your home, like kitchen cabinets and floating floorboards.

Key inclusion:

  • Impact damage from fallen trees and branches and the removal of debris.

Customer care

No query is too hard to handle. Our Australian-based consultants are always here to help. 

Exclusive savings

RACV Members save with discounted attraction tickets, Woolworths WISH gift cards, special prices on local travel, day trips, and more.  

Multi-Policy discounts

The more RACV Insurance policies you hold, the more you can save. Get 10% off when you take out two or more eligible policies.

What does Buildings Insurance cover?

With an RACV Home Buildings Insurance policy, you'll be covered for a range of events, such as fire, theft and storm. Here's a summary of what's included:

  • Buildings and fixtures such as light fittings and kitchen cupboards. Includes garage, carport, fences, and in-ground pools.
  • Building materials at your home – such as bricks, tiles and timber – are covered up to $1000 for loss or damage as a result of an insured event.
  • Temporary accommodation if you can’t live in your home as a result of an insured event. This also includes temporary accommodation for your pet, the removal and storage of your contents, and for any costs we agree are reasonable and appropriate. 
  • Demolition and debris removal and costs to make your site safe, such as temporary fencing, once reviewed and agreed to.
  • Costs to meet in-force building regulations to repair or rebuild a part of your home damaged by an insured event.
  • Up to $20 million in liability cover to handle a claim made against you or your family for an incident that takes place at your home or site which causes death or injury to someone else, or causes loss or damage to someone else's property.

This is only a summary of the inclusions for RACV Home Buildings Insurance. For more information, such as conditions, limits and exclusions, please read the Product Disclosure Statement.

These are a few examples of things not covered by RACV Home Buildings Insurance. Make sure you check the Product Disclosure Statement for a full list of conditions, limits and exclusions.

  • Loss or damage caused intentionally by you, by someone living in your home or by someone who has been given consent to enter your home.
  • Vermin or insects – such as termite damage.
  • Subsidence or landslide unless it happens immediately as a result of an earthquake, explosion, storm, flood, rainwater run-off or storm surge. 

Looking for a little extra protection? You can boost your cover by adding options to your policy. If you do this, you’ll need to pay extra. 

Accidental Damage inside the home
Mishaps happen. Get cover for unintentional damage around your home, like when you're in the roof space and accidentally put your foot through the ceiling.

Burn out of electrical motors – fusion
That are less than 15 years old, not covered by a warranty or used for a business, trade or profession and permanently attached fixtures, such as in a ducted air conditioning unit. 

Home Insurance products comparison

Summary of Cover

Summary of Cover

Home Buildings & Contents Insurance

Contents Insurance

Building Insurance

Up to 12 months temporary accommodation
Demolishing and removing debris
Rebuilding fees
Cover for damage to the building e.g. roof, shed
Cover for damage to your contents e.g. TV, clothes
Kitchen cupboards and benchtops
Floating floorboards, carpets & rugs
Window furnishings e.g. curtains
Spoiled food or prescription medication (due to an insured event)
Credit card theft

This table is a summary only. Refer to the Product Disclosure Statement for a full list of conditions, limits and exclusions.

Getting started

New to buying insurance? Here’s the basics. Once you choose the cover you need – buildings, contents or combined buildings and contents – you'll need to:

  1. Calculate the sum insured

    The sum insured is the maximum amount allocated to repair your home or replace your contents following an insured event. You can estimate these values using our calculators below.

  2. Get a quote

    You can get a quote for an RACV Home Insurance policy you’ve decided is right for you online or by calling us on 13 72 28.

  3. Review your quote

    Check all the details to understand your level of cover and the excess you’ve selected.

  4. Purchase your policy

    Once you’re happy the level of cover, you can finalise your payment online, or by calling us and providing your quote number.

Helpful tools

Frequently asked questions

What does accidental damage cover?

Accidental damage is an optional extra you can choose to add to your policy. It’s not automatically included.

Accidental damage provides cover for when damage occurs around your home that has been caused unintentionally. For example, dropping something heavy on your stone kitchen benchtop and it cracks.

The type of policy you have determines what is covered by Accidental Damage. For example, if you take out a Combined Buildings and Contents policy and add Accidental Damage cover, the cover will apply to both your contents and your building.

Who will repair my home?

RACV Insurance has access to a network of preferred repairers and suppliers that can be engaged to assist in your claims process. Only suitably qualified repairers and leading retailers are engaged to assist with RACV Insurance claims.

When your home is repaired or rebuilt by an RACV Insurance preferred repairer and authorised as part of a claim, a lifetime guarantee is provided on the workmanship of repairs.

Can I choose my own repairer for my home repairs?

Yes; but if you choose not to use an RACV Insurance preferred repairer, the repairs will need to be arranged and managed by you and anything that goes wrong (like faulty workmanship) will not be covered by your policy.

You’ll also only be paid the fair and reasonable amount that the repairs should cost.

What is the cost to rebuild a house?

Lots of factors can determine rebuild costs, such as the size of the home, construction materials, location and more. You can calculate the estimated rebuild cost of your home by using the Home Buildings Calculator.

The calculation the building calculator gives you is a guide only, so it is up to you to make sure your home is insured for its full replacement value.

If you choose to insure your home for more than the cost to repair, replace or rebuild, you’ll only be covered for the actual cost of repairing, replacing or rebuilding.

Explore other RACV products

More information you may be interested in...

1 The Multi-Policy Discount and Years of Membership Benefits exclude Travel, Business and Farm Insurance products. To qualify for the Multi-Policy Discount, you must hold two eligible RACV Insurance policies. For further details, see the Premium, Excess and Discounts guide at racv.com.au. Discounts will only be applied until any applicable minimum premium is reached. On renewal, any increases or decreases in your premium may be limited by factors such as your previous year’s premium. You may not save more with more eligible policies and by staying with RACV Insurance longer if a minimum premium is reached, or limits have been applied to increases or decreases in your premium.

The information provided is general advice only. Before making any decisions please consider your own circumstances and the Product Disclosure Statement and Target Market Determinations. For copies, visit racv.com.au. As distributor, RACV Insurance Services Pty Ltd AFS Licence No. 230039 receives commission for each policy sold or renewed. Insurance product(s) issued by Insurance Manufacturers of Australia Pty Ltd ABN 93 004 208 084 AFS Licence No. 227678.

* The RACV Home Buildings Calculator provides an indication of rebuilding costs only and in no way guarantees the amount RACV Insurance may agree to insure your home for. It is your responsibility to check that this amount is enough to cover the rebuilding costs of your home at today’s prices. Before you decide whether to buy or continue to hold RACV Home Insurance, you should calculate the actual replacement value of your home and consider the information in the Product Disclosure Statement.