RACV Home Buildings insurance covers the cost to rebuild or repair the structure of your home and other buildings (like a shed or garage) on your property when the damage is caused by an insured event.

Buildings Insurance doesn’t just cover your main structure; it also includes permanent fixtures that make up your home, like kitchen cabinets and floating floorboards.

Key inclusion:

  • Impact damage from fallen trees and branches and the removal of debris.

Customer care

No query is too hard to handle. Our Australian-based consultants are always here to help. 

Exclusive savings

RACV Members save with discounted attraction tickets, Woolworths WISH gift cards, special prices on local travel, day trips, and more.  

Multi-Policy discounts

The more RACV Insurance policies you hold, the more you can save. Get 10% off when you take out two or more eligible policies.

What does Buildings Insurance cover?

With an RACV Home Buildings Insurance policy, you'll be covered for a range of events, such as fire, theft and storm. Here's a summary of what's included:

  • Buildings and fixtures such as light fittings and kitchen cupboards. Includes garage, carport, fences, and in-ground pools.
  • Building materials at your home – such as bricks, tiles and timber – are covered up to $1000 for loss or damage as a result of an insured event.
  • Temporary accommodation if you can’t live in your home as a result of an insured event. This also includes temporary accommodation for your pet, the removal and storage of your contents, and for any costs we agree are reasonable and appropriate. 
  • Demolition and debris removal and costs to make your site safe, such as temporary fencing, once reviewed and agreed to.
  • Costs to meet in-force building regulations to repair or rebuild a part of your home damaged by an insured event.
  • Up to $20 million in liability cover to handle a claim made against you or your family for an incident that takes place at your home or site which causes death or injury to someone else, or causes loss or damage to someone else's property.

This is only a summary of the inclusions for RACV Home Buildings Insurance. For more information, such as conditions, limits and exclusions, please read the Product Disclosure Statement.

These are a few examples of things not covered by RACV Home Buildings Insurance. Make sure you check the Product Disclosure Statement for a full list of conditions, limits and exclusions.

  • Loss or damage caused intentionally by you, by someone living in your home or by someone who has been given consent to enter your home.
  • Vermin or insects – such as termite damage.
  • Subsidence or landslide unless it happens immediately as a result of an earthquake, explosion, storm, flood, rainwater run-off or storm surge. 

Looking for a little extra protection? You can boost your cover by adding options to your policy. If you do this, you’ll need to pay extra. 

Accidental Damage inside the home
Mishaps happen. Get cover for unintentional damage around your home, like when you're in the roof space and accidentally put your foot through the ceiling.

Burn out of electrical motors – fusion
That are less than 15 years old, not covered by a warranty or used for a business, trade or profession and permanently attached fixtures, such as in a ducted air conditioning unit. 

Summary of Cover

Summary of Cover

Home Buildings & Contents Insurance

Contents Insurance

Building Insurance

Up to 12 months temporary accommodation
Demolishing and removing debris
Rebuilding fees
Cover for damage to the building e.g. roof, shed
Cover for damage to your contents e.g. TV, clothes
Kitchen cupboards and benchtops
Floating floorboards, carpets & rugs
Window furnishings e.g. curtains
Spoiled food or prescription medication (due to an insured event)
Credit card theft

This table is a summary only. Refer to the Product Disclosure Statement for a full list of conditions, limits and exclusions.

New to buying insurance? Here’s the basics. Once you choose the cover you need – buildings, contents or combined buildings and contents – you'll need to:

  1. Calculate the sum insured

    The sum insured is the maximum amount allocated to repair your home or replace your contents following an insured event. You can estimate these values using our calculators below.

  2. Get a quote

    You can get a quote for an RACV Home Insurance policy you’ve decided is right for you online or by calling us on 13 72 28.

  3. Review your quote

    Check all the details to understand your level of cover and the excess you’ve selected.

  4. Purchase your policy

    Once you’re happy the level of cover, you can finalise your payment online, or by calling us and providing your quote number.

How much should I insure my home for?

The amount you insure your home for (we call that the ‘building sum insured’) should be enough to rebuild your home if you had to do it today.

Remember, when we talk about your home, we don’t just mean the building itself. If you have things like fences, sheds, in-ground pools, or covered car spaces, they count too.

There are a few things to think about:

  • If you underinsure your home, you may be caught short if you have to totally rebuild and replace it
  • If you insure your home for more than it costs to rebuild and replace it, you'll only be able to claim the actual cost to do so
  • Your building sum insured will be different to the market value of your home, which you might find on a property valuation, because it doesn't include the land value
  • Make sure you include the cost of demolition and debris removal, building and planning professionals, plus any statutory or regulatory requirements

You can use our buildings calculator as a guide.*

Can I insure for a different amount than your online building calculator says?

You can. The calculator is a guide – if the figure doesn't seem right, you can change it.

It's important to make sure you're not underinsured, in case you ever need to totally rebuild your home.

But keep in mind that if you insure your home for more than it costs to rebuild and repair it, you'll only be able to claim the actual cost to do so.

What does accidental damage cover?

If you choose to add accidental damage to your policy Buildings Insurance policy, you'll be covered for any unintentional damage to your home or other structures on your property.

So if you put your foot through the ceiling while you're in the roof damage a wall while moving a ladder, RACV Insurance will help you sort it.

Keep in mind that a $300 excess will apply for accidental damage claims.

Does Buildings Insurance cover garages?

Yes, it covers all the structures on your property – including garages and carports. When you're working out how much cover you need, make sure you include these structures.

So if your garage is damaged in an insured event, like fire, flood, storm or even a tree falling on to it, you're protected.

Does Buildings Insurance cover carpets?

Carpets are considered part of your contents, so if they're damaged as part of an insured event, they won't be covered by Buildings Insurance.

If you want protection for your carpets as well as your building, you can check out Combined Buildings and Contents Insurance. This way you'll also be covered for rugs, curtains, appliances and other things you keep in your home.

If you're insuring an investment property that you're renting out, you may be able to use some of your buildings cover to repair or replace your contents.

Am I covered while my home is being renovated?

It depends on the work you're doing.

If you're making internal cosmetic changes like painting or replacing your carpet, you'll be covered for all usual insured events.

If you're doing bigger work, like adding a room or storey, or renovating your kitchen or bathroom, call us on 13 72 28 so we can help you check your cover.

We may ask you for information like: 

  • When you expect to start and finish the work
  • How much it’s likely to cost
  • Detailed description of the work, including which rooms are affected
  • Who will live in your home during the work.

Can I choose my repairer for my home repairs?

Yes, you can. You'll be paid the fair and reasonable amount that the repairs should cost, but you'll need to manage and arrange the repairs yourself.

Otherwise, you can go with a qualified and reputable supplier from the RACV network. This can help take the hassle out of researching and comparing quotes. Plus, any repairs organised by RACV Insurance will have a lifetime guarantee.

More information you may be interested in...

1 The Multi-Policy Discount and Years of Membership Benefits exclude Travel, Business and Farm Insurance products. To qualify for the Multi-Policy Discount, you must hold two eligible RACV Insurance policies. For further details, see the Premium, Excess and Discounts guide at racv.com.au. Discounts will only be applied until any applicable minimum premium is reached. On renewal, any increases or decreases in your premium may be limited by factors such as your previous year’s premium. You may not save more with more eligible policies and by staying with RACV Insurance longer if a minimum premium is reached, or limits have been applied to increases or decreases in your premium.

The information provided is general advice only. Before making any decisions please consider your own circumstances and the Product Disclosure Statement and Target Market Determinations. For copies, visit racv.com.au. As distributor, RACV Insurance Services Pty Ltd AFS Licence No. 230039 receives commission for each policy sold or renewed. Insurance product(s) issued by Insurance Manufacturers of Australia Pty Ltd ABN 93 004 208 084 AFS Licence No. 227678.

* The RACV Home Buildings Calculator provides an indication of rebuilding costs only and in no way guarantees the amount RACV Insurance may agree to insure your home for. It is your responsibility to check that this amount is enough to cover the rebuilding costs of your home at today’s prices. Before you decide whether to buy or continue to hold RACV Home Insurance, you should calculate the actual replacement value of your home and consider the information in the Product Disclosure Statement.