RACV Contents Insurance covers the cost to repair or replace things you keep inside your home that have been damaged as a result of an insured event. These items can include furniture and rugs, fridges and washing machines, and TVs.

Key inclusion:

  • Cover for flood* damage caused by heavy rain or overflow from a nearby river that can build up from the street and creep into your home.

*unless you have removed flood cover

Customer care

No query is too hard to handle. Our Australian-based consultants are always here to help. 

Exclusive savings

RACV Members save with discounted attraction tickets, Woolworths WISH gift cards, special prices on local travel, day trips, and more.  

Multi-Policy discounts

The more RACV Insurance policies you hold, the more you can save. Get 10% off when you take out two or more eligible policies.

What does Contents Insurance cover?

With an RACV Home Contents Insurance policy, you'll be covered for a range of events, such as fire, theft and storm. Here's a summary of what's included:
  • Credit card theft: Up to $1000 towards any money you must pay your credit card company if your card is stolen from your home and used without consent and your theft claim is covered.
  • Spoiled food or prescription medication replacement costs up to $500 if an insured event interrupts the electricity supply to your fridge or freezer.
  • New for old cover if an insured item is stolen, damaged or destroyed by any event listed in your policy.
  • Up to $20 million in liability cover to handle a claim made against you or your family for an incident that takes place outside the site which causes death or injury to someone else, or causes loss or damage to someone else's property. 

This is only a summary of the inclusions for RACV Contents Insurance. For more information, such as conditions, limits and exclusions, please read the Product Disclosure Statement.

These are a few examples of things not covered by RACV Contents Insurance. Make sure you check the Product Disclosure Statement for a full list of conditions, limits and exclusions.

  • Loose or unset gemstones.
  • Plants, trees or shrubs growing in the ground (however potted plants are covered).
  • Buildings and fixtures such as light fittings and kitchen cupboards. Includes garage, carport, fences, in-ground pools and spas.
  • Trailers, caravans, motor vehicles, golf buggies or carts.
  • Stock used in any business trade or profession.

Looking for a little extra protection? You can boost your cover by adding options to your policy. If you do this, you’ll need to pay extra. 

Accidental Damage inside the home
Prone to a lot of ‘oops!’ moments? Get cover for unintentional damage to your General Contents or Valuable Items. It covers things like accidentally knocking over your TV.

Burn out of electrical motors – fusion
That are less than 15 years old, not covered by a warranty or used for a business, trade or profession and permanently attached fixtures, such as in a ducted air conditioning unit.

Portable Items anywhere in Australia and New Zealand
Insure items you or your family might take with you when you leave your home such as phones or laptops. Covered up to $10,000 (unless you list it separately for more). If you take your items outside Australia or New Zealand, the most we pay is $10,000 for all items.

Valuable Items inside the home
The standard policy provides cover for $2,500 under each category (for example, works of art and jewellery and watches). You can increase your level of cover for any of these categories by letting us know what amount above $2,500 you’d like to insure your valuables for.

Summary of Cover

Summary of Cover

Home Buildings & Contents Insurance

Contents Insurance

Building Insurance

Up to 12 months temporary accommodation
Demolishing and removing debris
Rebuilding fees
Cover for damage to the building e.g. roof, shed
Cover for damage to your contents e.g. TV, clothes
Kitchen cupboards and benchtops
Floating floorboards, carpets & rugs
Window furnishings e.g. curtains
Spoiled food or prescription medication (due to an insured event)
Credit card theft

This table is a summary only. Refer to the Product Disclosure Statement for a full list of conditions, limits and exclusions.

If you’re new to buying insurance, don’t worry – it’s easier than you think! Start with what you want to protect – your building, your contents, or both of them combined – then follow these steps:

  1. Calculate the sum insured

    The sum insured is the maximum amount allocated to repair your home or replace your contents following an insured event. You can estimate these values using our calculators below.

  2. Get a quote

    You can get a quote for an RACV Home Insurance policy you’ve decided is right for you online or by calling us on 13 72 28.

  3. Review your quote

    Check all the details to understand your level of cover and the excess you’ve selected.

  4. Purchase your policy

    Once you’re happy the level of cover, you can finalise your payment online, or by calling us and providing your quote number.

How does contents insurance work?

Basically, you let us know how much it would cost to replace all your items at today's prices and RACV Insurance will cover your belongings for a range of insured events.

For example, you're covered if:

  • your belongings are burned in a house or apartment fire
  • your carpets and furniture are damaged because of flooding
  • a thief breaks into your home and steals your belongings (including mobile phones, TVs and laptops).

Not sure how much your contents are worth? Use our contents calculator as a guide.*

Ready to get started? Get a quote today.

What exactly are contents?

Basically, contents are household items that you own and aren't permanently attached to your home.

They include things like:

  • furniture and appliances
  • clothing and linen
  • mobile phones, computers and tablets
  • internal blinds
  • curtains and drapes
  • carpets and rugs
  • furnishings
  • medical equipment
  • toys
  • tools.

For a full list of what you can cover, see the Product Disclosure Statement.

How much should I insure my contents for?

The amount you insure your contents for (we call that the ‘sum insured’ or your ‘contents value’) should be enough to repair or replace all your belongings if you were buying them new today.

  • If you underinsure your contents, you may be caught short if you have to totally repair and replace them
  • If you insure your contents for more than it costs to repair and replace them, you’ll only be able to claim the actual cost to do so.

You can use our contents calculator as a guide.*

How much does contents insurance cost?

When you get a quote for contents insurance, we'll calculate the cost (we call that your ‘premium’) using various details.

They include things like:

  • The type of property you live in and where it's located
  • The value of the contents you need covered
  • Whether you need accidental damage inside your home
  • Whether you need portable cover for the items you take outside your home
  • The people on your policy (plus their insurance and claims history)
  • Any discounts you're eligible for
  • The excess you choose for your policy
  • Any compulsory government charges (such as Stamp Duty or GST).

Keep in mind that your premium can change each year when you renew your policy.

Want to know what your premium could be? Get a quote today.

What isn't covered by contents insurance?

Your contents are covered for a range of events including fire, flood, storm or theft.

However, you're not covered for:

  • pre-existing damage to your contents
  • loss or damage that is deliberately caused by members of your household or guests
  • damage caused by vermin or insects, including termites.

There are also some items that aren't covered, like:

  • stock used in a business, trade or profession
  • loose or unset gemstones
  • plants, trees and shrubs growing in the ground.

For full details of what is and isn't covered, see the Product Disclosure Statement.

This policy only covers for items inside your home, if you want buildings cover too, check out Combined Buildings and Contents Insurance.

What does accidental damage cover?

If you choose to add accidental damage to your Contents Insurance policy, you'll be covered for any unintentional damage to your belongings in your home.

So if you knock your TV over, spill red wine on your carpet or you break a vase, RACV Insurance will help you sort it.

Keep in mind that a $300 excess will apply for accidental damage claims.

Can I get cover with my roommates if I live in a share house?

You sure can. You can either take out one policy to cover everyone's contents or take out your own policy with just your contents.

You can only cover belongings owned by people listed on the policy, so if you get insurance as a group, make sure to add everyone's names to the policy.

What's the difference between general and valuable contents?

General contents
These are items that are kept in or around your home but aren't permanently fixed to the house. Think furniture, carpets, electronics and clothes.

Valuable contents
You're automatically covered for up to $2500 in each of these categories:

  • Art
  • Music, games and movies
  • Collections
  • Jewellery and watches.

If you want to insure any category for more than this, you can list them as valuable contents.

We don't list individual items under $10,000, however any item over $10,000 will need to be noted on your policy, so they're fully covered.

What happens if my belongings aren't at home when they're damaged or lost?

When you take out Contents Insurance, you can add portable items to your policy. This covers items if they're lost or stolen anywhere in Australia or New Zealand. You'll also get limited cover anywhere else in the world.

We'll ask you for the value of your contents across different categories.

They include:

  • electronics (including mobile phones, wearable technology, tablets or laptops)
  • jewellery and watches
  • glasses, sunglasses and hearing aids
  • wheelchairs, scooters and prosthetic limbs
  • camping, sporting and recreation equipment (including musical instruments)
  • clothing and luggage (including handbags and wallets).

How will my contents claim be settled?

It depends on the item.

Where possible, your items could be repaired or restored.

Some items like fridges, washing machines and electrical appliances can be replaced by a specialist supplier.

Other ways your claim can be settled are by giving you a store credit or a cash payout.

You can make a claim online or by calling 13 19 03.

To check the cover on your policy, call us on 13 72 28.

More information you may be interested in...

1 The Multi-Policy Discount and Years of Membership Benefits exclude Travel, Business and Farm Insurance products. To qualify for the Multi-Policy Discount, you must hold two eligible RACV Insurance policies. For further details, see the Premium, Excess and Discounts guide at racv.com.au. Discounts will only be applied until any applicable minimum premium is reached. On renewal, any increases or decreases in your premium may be limited by factors such as your previous year’s premium. You may not save more with more eligible policies and by staying with RACV Insurance longer if a minimum premium is reached, or limits have been applied to increases or decreases in your premium.

The information provided is general advice only. Before making any decisions please consider your own circumstances and the Product Disclosure Statement and Target Market Determinations. For copies, visit racv.com.au. As distributor, RACV Insurance Services Pty Ltd AFS Licence No. 230039 receives commission for each policy sold or renewed. Insurance product(s) issued by Insurance Manufacturers of Australia Pty Ltd ABN 93 004 208 084 AFS Licence No. 227678.

* The RACV Home Contents Calculator provides an indication of replacement costs only and in no way guarantees the amount RACV Insurance may agree to insure your home’s contents for. It is your responsibility to check that this amount is enough to cover the replacement costs of your home’s contents at today’s prices. Before you decide whether to buy or continue to hold RACV Home Insurance, you should calculate the actual replacement value of your contents and consider the information in the Product Disclosure Statement.