• Protection for contents in your home

    RACV Contents Insurance covers the cost to repair or replace general items such as furniture, carpet and electrical equipment that have been damaged as a result of an insured event. You can also add optional cover to protect your portable items, like your favourite watch, to ensure you're covered outside the home. For full details, see our policy documents.

What you're covered for

With an RACV Home Contents Insurance policy, you'll be covered for a range of events, such as fire, theft and storm. Here's a summary of what's included:
  • Credit card theft: Up to $1000 towards any money you must pay your credit card company if your card is stolen from your home and used without consent and your theft claim is covered.
  • Spoiled food or prescription medication replacement costs up to $500 if an insured event interrupts the electricity supply to your fridge or freezer.
  • New for old cover if an insured item is stolen, damaged or destroyed by any event listed in your policy.
  • Up to $20 million in liability cover to handle a claim made against you or your family for an incident that takes place at your home or site which causes death or injury to someone else, or causes loss or damage to someone else's property. 

This is only a summary of the inclusions for RACV Contents Insurance. For more information, such as conditions, limits and exclusions, please read the Product Disclosure Statement.

Optional extras

Looking for a little extra protection? You can boost your cover by adding options to your policy. If you do this, you’ll need to pay extra. 

Valuable Items inside the home
The standard policy provides cover for $2,500 under each category (for example, works of art and jewellery and watches). You can increase your level of cover for any of these categories by letting us know what amount above $2,500 you’d like to insure your valuables for.

Accidental Damage inside the home
Prone to a lot of ‘oops!’ moments? Get cover for unintentional damage to your General Contents or Valuable Items. It covers things like accidentally knocking over your TV.

Portable Items anywhere in Australia and New Zealand
Insure items you or your family might take with you when you leave your home such as phones or laptops. Covered up to $10,000 (unless you list it separately for more). If you take your items outside Australia or New Zealand, the most we pay is $10,000 for all items.

Burn out of electrical motors – fusion
That are less than 15 years old, not covered by a warranty or used for a business, trade or profession and permanently attached fixtures, such as in a ducted air conditioning unit.

What's not covered

These are a few examples of things not covered by RACV Contents Insurance. Make sure you check the Product Disclosure Statement for a full list of conditions, limits and exclusions.

  • Loose or unset gemstones.
  • Plants, trees or shrubs growing in the ground (however potted plants are covered).
  • Buildings and fixtures such as light fittings and kitchen cupboards. Includes garage, carport, fences, in-ground pools and spas.
  • Trailers, caravans, motor vehicles, golf buggies or carts.
  • Stock used in any business trade or profession.

Ways you can save with RACV

Mature couple sitting on couch laughing

Are you 50 years or over?

You’re eligible for RACV Prime Cover Home and Contents Insurance which provides a nil excess option so you don’t have to pay any basic excess.

mature couple sitting on couch laughing

Reduced premium if you're 50 years or over

50 or over? You get RACV Prime Cover Home Contents Insurance with reduced premium and additional benefits such as an option for a nil excess so you don't have to pay any basic excess.

Useful links


Does Contents Insurance cover accidental damage?

Accidental damage cover protects you when unintentional damage occurs around your home.

For example, if your child accidentally knocks over your TV and the screen breaks, or if you’re in your roof and you accidentally put your foot through the ceiling.

How will my claim for contents items be settled?

It depends on the item.

Contents items such as electrical items are generally referred to a specialist supplier that can assist in the replacement process.

Sometimes your claim may be settled with a store credit or cash settlement and where possible, repair or restore content items.

Can I get cover if I live in a share house?

If you live in a share house, you can either take out cover as a group and all be listed on the policy, or take out your own individual policy for the contents only you own.

Cover will only be provided for contents owned by people listed on the policy. The amount you want to insure for should represent those items.

What’s the difference between General, Valuable and Portable contents?

General contents are items you keep in and around your home that aren't permanently attached or fixed to the home's structure, like furniture, furnishings, carpets (if you are the owner who lives in the home), electrical items and clothes.

Valuable contents are covered as part of your general contents, however only up to $2500 and for these categories:

  • Works of art
  • Music, games and movies
  • Collections
  • Jewellery and watches

Under Valuable contents, you can decide to insure these items for more than what would normally be paid out.

Portable contents are items that you or your family own that you might take outside of your home.

I'm placing some contents items in storage, how do I ensure that my items are covered?

To ensure General Contents held in storage are covered by your policy, you’ll need to advise of the change before they’re moved into storage and make sure the location meets the acceptance criteria.

Refer to the Product Disclosure Statement for information on items not covered while in storage.

Note that Valuable Contents are not covered while in storage, as shown in Table 1.3 on page 19 of the RACV Home Insurance Product Disclosure Statement.

For full details on how you’re covered read the Home Insurance Product Disclosure Statement

RACV Home Insurance is issued by Insurance Manufacturers of Australia Pty Limited ABN 93 004 208 084 AFS Licence No. 227678. The information on this website is general advice only so before making any decisions, please consider your own circumstances and the Product Disclosure Statement.

^ On existing policies discount takes effect at next renewal. Excludes Travel, Business, Farm, Single Item and Pet Insurance products. 

Looking for something else? Explore our other insurance products