What is Contents Insurance?

RACV Contents Insurance covers the cost to repair or replace things you keep inside your home that have been damaged as a result of an insured event. These items can include furniture and rugs, fridges and washing machines, and TVs.

Key inclusion:

  • Cover for flood* damage caused by heavy rain or overflow from a nearby river that can build up from the street and creep into your home.

*unless you have removed flood cover

Customer care

No query is too hard to handle. Our Australian-based consultants are always here to help. 

Exclusive savings

RACV Members save with discounted attraction tickets, Woolworths WISH gift cards, special prices on local travel, day trips, and more.  

Multi-Policy discounts

The more RACV Insurance policies you hold, the more you can save. Get 10% off when you take out two or more eligible policies.

What does Contents Insurance cover?

With an RACV Home Contents Insurance policy, you'll be covered for a range of events, such as fire, theft and storm. Here's a summary of what's included:
  • Credit card theft: Up to $1000 towards any money you must pay your credit card company if your card is stolen from your home and used without consent and your theft claim is covered.
  • Spoiled food or prescription medication replacement costs up to $500 if an insured event interrupts the electricity supply to your fridge or freezer.
  • New for old cover if an insured item is stolen, damaged or destroyed by any event listed in your policy.
  • Up to $20 million in liability cover to handle a claim made against you or your family for an incident that takes place outside the site which causes death or injury to someone else, or causes loss or damage to someone else's property. 

This is only a summary of the inclusions for RACV Contents Insurance. For more information, such as conditions, limits and exclusions, please read the Product Disclosure Statement.

These are a few examples of things not covered by RACV Contents Insurance. Make sure you check the Product Disclosure Statement for a full list of conditions, limits and exclusions.

  • Loose or unset gemstones.
  • Plants, trees or shrubs growing in the ground (however potted plants are covered).
  • Buildings and fixtures such as light fittings and kitchen cupboards. Includes garage, carport, fences, in-ground pools and spas.
  • Trailers, caravans, motor vehicles, golf buggies or carts.
  • Stock used in any business trade or profession.

Looking for a little extra protection? You can boost your cover by adding options to your policy. If you do this, you’ll need to pay extra. 

Accidental Damage inside the home
Prone to a lot of ‘oops!’ moments? Get cover for unintentional damage to your General Contents or Valuable Items. It covers things like accidentally knocking over your TV.

Burn out of electrical motors – fusion
That are less than 15 years old, not covered by a warranty or used for a business, trade or profession and permanently attached fixtures, such as in a ducted air conditioning unit.

Portable Items anywhere in Australia and New Zealand
Insure items you or your family might take with you when you leave your home such as phones or laptops. Covered up to $10,000 (unless you list it separately for more). If you take your items outside Australia or New Zealand, the most we pay is $10,000 for all items.

Valuable Items inside the home
The standard policy provides cover for $2,500 under each category (for example, works of art and jewellery and watches). You can increase your level of cover for any of these categories by letting us know what amount above $2,500 you’d like to insure your valuables for.

Home Insurance products comparison

Summary of Cover

Summary of Cover

Home Buildings & Contents Insurance

Contents Insurance

Building Insurance

Up to 12 months temporary accommodation
Demolishing and removing debris
Rebuilding fees
Cover for damage to the building e.g. roof, shed
Cover for damage to your contents e.g. TV, clothes
Kitchen cupboards and benchtops
Floating floorboards, carpets & rugs
Window furnishings e.g. curtains
Spoiled food or prescription medication (due to an insured event)
Credit card theft

This table is a summary only. Refer to the Product Disclosure Statement for a full list of conditions, limits and exclusions.

Getting started

If you’re new to buying insurance, don’t worry – it’s easier than you think! Start with what you want to protect – your building, your contents, or both of them combined – then follow these steps:

  1. Calculate the sum insured

    The sum insured is the maximum amount allocated to repair your home or replace your contents following an insured event. You can estimate these values using our calculators below.

  2. Get a quote

    You can get a quote for an RACV Home Insurance policy you’ve decided is right for you online or by calling us on 13 72 28.

  3. Review your quote

    Check all the details to understand your level of cover and the excess you’ve selected.

  4. Purchase your policy

    Once you’re happy the level of cover, you can finalise your payment online, or by calling us and providing your quote number.

Helpful tools

Frequently asked questions

How will my claim for contents items be settled?

The way a claim is settled can differ item to item. If RACV Insurance agrees to cover your claim under contents insurance, then RACV Insurance can pay your claim in any of the following ways:

  • repair an item
  • replace an item one that’s the same or one that’s similar
  • pay you the reasonable costs of what it would cost to repair or replace the item(s)
  • give you a store credit or cash settlement.

Electrical items covered by contents are generally referred to a specialist supplier that can assist in the replacement process.

What’s the difference between General, Valuable and Portable contents?

General contents are items you keep in and around your home that aren't permanently attached or fixed to the home's structure, like furniture, furnishings, carpets (if you are the owner who lives in the home), electrical items and clothes.

Valuable contents are covered as part of your general contents, but only up to $2500 and for these categories:

  • works of art
  • music, games and movies
  • collections
  • jewellery and watches.

Under Valuable contents, you can choose to insure these items for more than what would normally be paid out.

Portable contents are items that you or your family own that you might take outside of your home. Items may include:

  • camping and sporting equipment (while not in use)
  • prescription glasses or hearing aids
  • electronic devices like a smart watch, phone or laptop
  • baby capsules and luggage.

Can I get cover with my roommates if I live in a share house?

If you live in a share house, you can either:

  • take out cover as a group with your roommates and all be listed on the policy, or
  • take out your own individual policy for the contents only you own.

Cover will only be provided for contents owned by people listed on the policy. The amount you want to insure for should represent those items.

I'm placing some contents in storage, how do I ensure that my items are covered?

To ensure your General Contents are covered while they’re in storage, you must first get in touch with RACV Insurance. This is to let RACV Insurance know:

  • the value of the items
  • where you intend to store the items to make sure it meets acceptance criteria.

Keep in mind that valuable contents aren’t covered in storage. Check the Product Disclosure Statement for more information on what’s not covered in storage.

Explore other RACV products

More information you may be interested in...

1 The Multi-Policy Discount and Years of Membership Benefits exclude Travel, Business and Farm Insurance products. To qualify for the Multi-Policy Discount, you must hold two eligible RACV Insurance policies. For further details, see the Premium, Excess and Discounts guide at racv.com.au. Discounts will only be applied until any applicable minimum premium is reached. On renewal, any increases or decreases in your premium may be limited by factors such as your previous year’s premium. You may not save more with more eligible policies and by staying with RACV Insurance longer if a minimum premium is reached, or limits have been applied to increases or decreases in your premium.

The information provided is general advice only. Before making any decisions please consider your own circumstances and the Product Disclosure Statement and Target Market Determinations. For copies, visit racv.com.au. As distributor, RACV Insurance Services Pty Ltd AFS Licence No. 230039 receives commission for each policy sold or renewed. Insurance product(s) issued by Insurance Manufacturers of Australia Pty Ltd ABN 93 004 208 084 AFS Licence No. 227678.

* The RACV Home Contents Calculator provides an indication of replacement costs only and in no way guarantees the amount RACV Insurance may agree to insure your home’s contents for. It is your responsibility to check that this amount is enough to cover the replacement costs of your home’s contents at today’s prices. Before you decide whether to buy or continue to hold RACV Home Insurance, you should calculate the actual replacement value of your contents and consider the information in the Product Disclosure Statement.