What is Renters Insurance?

RACV Renters Insurance provides contents cover suited to tenants. Whether you’re renting as a family or as an individual, this insurance covers your personal belongings against loss or damage caused by an insured event.

Key inclusion:

  • Temporary accommodation swiftly arranged for you if your rental property is unliveable following an insured event.

Customer care

No query is too hard to handle. Our Australian-based consultants are always here to help. 

Exclusive savings

RACV Members save with discounted attraction tickets, Woolworths WISH gift cards, special prices on local travel, day trips, and more.  

Multi-Policy discounts

The more RACV Insurance policies you hold, the more you can save. Get 10% off when you take out two or more eligible policies.

What does Renters Insurance cover?

With an RACV Renters Insurance policy, you'll be covered for a range of events, such as fire, theft and storm. Here's a summary of what's included:

  • Temporary accommodation if you can’t live in your rental as a result of damage by an insured event. This also includes temporary accommodation for your pet, the removal and storage of your contents, and for any costs we agree are reasonable and appropriate.
  • Up to $20 million in liability cover to handle a claim made against you or your family for an incident that takes place outside the site which causes death or injury to someone else or loss or damage to someone else's property.   
  • Spoiled food and prescription medication replacement costs up to $500 if an insured event interrupts the electricity supply to your fridge or freezer. 
  • New for old cover if an insured item is stolen, damaged or destroyed by any event listed in your policy.

This is only a summary of the inclusions for RACV Renters Insurance. For more information, such as conditions, limits and exclusions, please read the Product Disclosure Statement.

These are a few examples of things not covered by RACV Renters Insurance. Make sure you check the Product Disclosure Statement for a full list of conditions, limits and exclusions.

  • Loose or unset gemstones.
  • Plants, trees or shrubs growing in the ground (however potted plants are covered).
  • Buildings and fixtures such as light fittings and kitchen cupboards. Includes garage, fences and in-ground pools.
  • Trailers, caravans, motor vehicles, golf buggies or carts.
  • Stock used in any business trade or profession.

Looking for a little extra protection? You can boost your cover by adding options to your policy. If you do this, you’ll need to pay extra. 

Accidental Damage for contents inside the home
Prone to a lot of ‘oops!’ moments? Get cover for unintentional damage to your General contents or Valuable items. It covers things like accidentally knocking over your TV.

Valuable items inside the home
The standard policy provides cover for $2,500 under each category (for example, works of art and jewellery and watches). You can increase your level of cover for any of these categories by calling us and letting us know what amount above $2,500 you’d like to insure your valuables for.

Portable items anywhere in Australia and New Zealand
Insure items you or your family might take with you when you leave your home, such as phones or laptops. Covered up to $10,000 (unless you list it separately for more). If you take your items outside Australia or New Zealand, the most we pay is $10,000 for all items.

Getting started

If you’re new to buying insurance, don’t worry – it’s easier than you think! Start with what you want to protect – your building, your contents, or both of them combined – then follow these steps:

  1. Calculate the sum insured

    The sum insured is the maximum amount allocated to repair your home or replace your contents following an insured event. You can estimate these values using our calculators below.

  2. Get a quote

    You can get a quote for an RACV Home Insurance policy you’ve decided is right for you online or by calling us on 13 72 28.

  3. Review your quote

    Check all the details to understand your level of cover and the excess you’ve selected.

  4. Purchase your policy

    Once you’re happy the level of cover, you can finalise your payment online, or by calling us and providing your quote number.

Helpful tools

Frequently asked questions

Does Renters Insurance cover accidental damage?

Accidental damage is an optional extra you can choose to add to your policy. It’s not automatically included.

Accidental damage provides cover for unintentional damage that occurs around your home. For example, tripping over while moving a computer monitor to another room in your house, resulting in it falling and smashing on the ground.

How will my claim for contents items be settled?

The way a claim is settled can differ item to item. If RACV Insurance agrees to cover your claim under your policy, then the claim can be settled in any of the following ways:

  • repair an item
  • replace an item one that’s the same or one that’s similar
  • pay you the reasonable costs of what it would cost to repair or replace the item(s)
  • give you a store credit or cash settlement.

Can I get cover with my roommate if I live in a share house?

Yes, you can get cover with your roommates if you live in a share house. You can choose to take out cover where you are all listed on the policy, or you can take out individual cover for the contents only you own.

Cover will only be provided for contents owned by people listed on the policy. The amount you want to insure for should represent those items.

What’s the difference between General, Valuable and Portable contents?

General contents are items you keep in and around your home that aren't permanently attached or fixed to the home's structure, like furniture, furnishings, carpets (if you are the owner who lives in the home), electrical items and clothes.

Valuable contents are covered as part of your general contents, however only up to $2500 and for these categories:

  • works of art
  • music, games and movies
  • collections
  • jewellery and watches.

Under Valuable contents, you can decide to insure these items for more than what would normally be paid out.

Portable contents are items that you or your family own that you might take outside of your home.

I'm placing some contents in storage, how do I ensure that my items are covered?

To ensure your General Contents are covered while they’re in storage, you must first get in touch with RACV Insurance. This is to let RACV Insurance know:

  • the value of the items
  • where you intend to store the items to make sure it meets acceptance criteria.

Keep in mind that valuable contents aren’t covered in storage. Check the Product Disclosure Statement for more information on what’s not covered in storage.

Explore other RACV products

More information you may be interested in...

1 The Multi-Policy Discount and Years of Membership Benefits exclude Travel, Business and Farm Insurance products. To qualify for the Multi-Policy Discount, you must hold two eligible RACV Insurance policies. For further details, see the Premium, Excess and Discounts guide at racv.com.au. Discounts will only be applied until any applicable minimum premium is reached. On renewal, any increases or decreases in your premium may be limited by factors such as your previous year’s premium. You may not save more with more eligible policies and by staying with RACV Insurance longer if a minimum premium is reached, or limits have been applied to increases or decreases in your premium.

The information provided is general advice only. Before making any decisions please consider your own circumstances and the Product Disclosure Statement and Target Market Determinations. For copies, visit racv.com.au. As distributor, RACV Insurance Services Pty Ltd AFS Licence No. 230039 receives commission for each policy sold or renewed. Insurance product(s) issued by Insurance Manufacturers of Australia Pty Ltd ABN 93 004 208 084 AFS Licence No. 227678.

* The RACV Home Contents Calculator provides an indication of replacement costs only and in no way guarantees the amount RACV Insurance may agree to insure your home’s contents for. It is your responsibility to check that this amount is enough to cover the replacement costs of your home’s contents at today’s prices. Before you decide whether to buy or continue to hold RACV Home Insurance, you should calculate the actual replacement value of your contents and consider the information in the Product Disclosure Statement.