Electric bikes (e-bikes) have all the benefits of a pushbike, plus the ability to ride further and more easily at the flick of a switch.
RACV believes e-bikes are not only a valuable mobility option for many commuters but have the potential to address many of the barriers to riding a traditional bike, including the length of the trip, not feeling fit enough to ride, and other forms of transport being quicker than cycling.
When compared to a regular bike, an e-bike:
- Makes it easier to take off from a stopped position
- Allows you to travel longer distances
- Helps you get up hills
- Gets you to your destination with less sweat than a conventional bike, so you probably won’t need to shower or change clothes when you arrive.
When compared to a car, an e-bike:
- Gets you out of congestion and sitting in heavy traffic
- Means you won’t need to pay for parking
- Helps you get some exercise in while you travel.
E bikes can also alleviate some pain points of other transport modes, such as cars and public transport. Whether you drive your car to work and sit in traffic most of the way, or catch a crowded train a short distance because you don’t feel fit enough to ride your bike, it’s worth considering whether an e-bike, or pedal-assisted electric bicycle, could make your journey more enjoyable.
Watch our animation below on why you might want to ride an electric bike, and sign up for a test ride.