What is Third Party Property Damage Car Insurance?

With Third Party Property Damage insurance, you’re covered for unintentional damage you cause to another person’s vehicle or property, such as colliding with another car or hitting someone’s fence.

Key inclusion:

With this policy, any licenced driver (including learners) with permission to drive your vehicle will be covered. Additional excess may apply to inexperienced drivers or drivers under 25.

Why choose RACV Car Insurance

Customer care

Our Australian-based consultants are always here to help you. 

Multi policy discount

Get 10% off when you take out two or more eligible insurance policies.*

Exclusive savings

RACV Members save with discounted attraction tickets, gift cards, and special prices on local travel.

Pay annually

Save on the price of your premium when you pay annually.

Get the basics covered with RACV Third Party Property Damage Car Insurance.

What does Third Party Property Damage Car Insurance cover?

With an RACV Third Party Property Damage car insurance policy, you'll be covered for a range of events. Here’s a summary of what’s included:

  • Liability cover up to $20 million for unintentional damage to someone else’s vehicle or property.
  • Up to $5000 in limited cover for damage to your vehicle if you’re not at fault in the collision, the other driver is uninsured and you can provide their details.
  • One tow from an incident to a safe place or repairer.

This is only a summary of the inclusions for RACV Third Party Property Damage Insurance. For more information, such as conditions, limits and exclusions, please read the Product Disclosure Statement.

  • Cover for repairs to your vehicle where you are at fault in the collision.
  • Financial protection if your car is stolen or is damaged as a result of an attempted theft.
  • Hire car after an accident, theft or attempted theft.
  • Cover for windscreen, sunroof and glass damage as a result of an incident.
  • New replacement vehicle if RACV Insurance considers your vehicle to be a total loss.

For more information on General Exclusions and items not included in your cover, refer to the Product Disclosure Statement.

Insurance claims and documents

Frequently asked questions

What’s the difference between Third Party Property Damage and Third Party Fire and Theft?

Third Party Property Damage covers you for unintentional damage you cause to another person’s vehicle or property.

Third Party Fire and Theft not only covers you for unintentional damage you cause to another person’s vehicle or property, it also provides financial protection if:

  • your car is damaged by a fire
  • your car is stolen
  • your car was damaged as a result of an attempted theft.

With Third Party insurance, damage to your own car is generally an out of pocket expense; However, Third Party Fire and Theft can provide some additional cover if an uninsured driver damages your car, you’re found not to be at fault and you can provide the uninsured driver's details.

This is only a summary of the differences between RACV Car Insurance policies. Refer to the relevant Product Disclosure Statement for specific terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions.  

What is agreed value and market value?

Market Value is an assessment of the value of the vehicle at the time of the incident based on its age and condition. Because it is not a fixed amount, you won’t know how much compensation you’ll receive if you need to make a claim.

Agreed value is the amount you will be reimbursed in the event of a claim where your car is in which your car is declared a total loss and is agreed on by you (the car owner) and the insurer. The agreed value amount is agreed upon by the car owner and their insurer. Because it is a fixed amount, it provides more certainty on what compensation you can expect if your car is considered a write off after an accident.

You can only choose between agreed and market value if you purchase a Comprehensive or Complete Care® car insurance policy.

Other RACV Car Insurance products

You might also be interested in...

* To qualify for the Multi-Policy Discount, members must hold two eligible RACV Insurance policies. Excludes Travel, Business, Farm and Single Item Insurance products. On existing policies, discount takes effect at next renewal.
† Comprehensive, Third Party and Third Party Fire and Theft policies only.

The information provided is general advice only, so before making any decisions please consider your own circumstances and the Product Disclosure Statement. For a copy, please call 13 RACV (13 72 28) or visit racv.com.au.
RACV Insurance policies are distributed to members of Royal Automobile Club of Victoria (RACV) Ltd by RACV Insurance Services Pty Ltd ABN 74 004 131 800 AFS Licence No. 230039.
RACV MotorHomeLandlordVeteran, Vintage & Classic VehicleCaravan & TrailerMotorcycle and Boat Insurance issued by Insurance Manufacturers of Australia Pty Ltd, ABN 93 004 208 084, AFS Licence No. 227678.

R.A.C.V. Finance Limited ABN 82 004 292 291 Australian Credit Licence No. 391488. RACV Finance is subject to RACV lending criteria. Conditions, fees and charges apply.