Many pick pockets operate throughout the world, and some of the biggest hotspots for pick pockets are in Europe. Among the highest are Barcelona, Spain, Rome, Italy, Paris, France, Madrid, Spain, Athens, Greece, Prague, the Czech Republic, Lisbon, Portugal, Florence, Italy, London, England, Amsterdam, and the Netherlands, just to name a few.
This doesn’t mean they only operate in large cities, however - many thefts occur in smaller towns as well.
There are many ways of protecting your belonging and ensure you are not a victim. Just some ideas include:
- Be aware of your surroundings especially around tourist crowds and public transport
- Don’t carry items in your back pocket
- Wear a money bag under your clothes to protect cash, passports and credit cards
- Leave valuable in you room safe
- Wear bags across your body
If you are robbed or pickpocketed remember to obtain a police report so you can submit a claim on Travel Insurance.
Keep receipts for all items, receipts will be requested if you submit a claim for luggage or personal items.