The way we were: RACV’s shipping service
The way we were: a look back at RACV's past.
The mid-1920s were extremely busy for RACV. Touring was increasingly popular and motorists were becoming more adventurous.
RACV inaugurated its Shipping Service in 1931, managing the transport of members’ vehicles interstate and overseas.
Following the lifting of World War II shipping restrictions in 1946, demand was overwhelming and a long waiting list developed.
In 1948 more than 1600 members’ vehicles were transported.
This photograph shows RACV Patrolman Alf Carkeek working on Station Pier in Port Melbourne in 1960, checking car wheels for excess dirt to ensure quarantine compliance.