Getting around Europe

Tips for travellers

Blue train travelling through a hilly landscape and a person taking photo from open window

With plenty of built-up cities and different countries just a stone's throw away, Europe is probably the most accessible continent in the world when it comes to internal travel. Here are your options for getting around:

  • Fly: Flying is a quick way to zip around Europe, and can be more economical than getting a train if you get a good deal. Keep in mind that airports are very busy in Europe and can often be impacted by inclement weather, which could cause delays to your travel plans. Also allow enough time between stops so you don’t miss important connections.
  • Train: Eurail passes offer a great way to travel throughout Europe. While they can be purchased at Europe train stations, but this is more expensive than ordering online before you travel. Some rail passes are only available if purchased in Australia so it's best to do your research to obtain the best deal. There are also rail planner apps available to help plan your travel.
  • Bus: Bus travel in Europe can be an advantageous alternative to traveling by train or flying, as buses and coaches often offer lower prices, comfortable journeys and regular connections.
  • Cruising: Cruising is a great option to visit many countries and relax at the same time. Experience ocean cruising in the Mediterranean, discover the Northern Lights on a cruise to Scandinavia, or consider River Cruising's luxury cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest. 
  • Coach holiday: If you prefer travelling in a group, try a coach holiday. Some popular providers are Europe Top Deck and Contiki.
  • Self-drive: If you're a fan of driving and want to maintain your independence, why not drive? Just remember that Europe drives on the right and the UK on the left. Road rules will also be different in each country, so familiarise yourself with them before you take the wheel. It's also important to purchase an International driving permit before you leave home, as they cannot be purchased when you get overseas. An international driver's licence is a translation of your current Australian drivers licence so you will need to take your Australian driver's licence with you as well.

Apply for an international driving permit

The information provided is general advice only. Before making any decisions please consider your own circumstances and the Product Disclosure Statement and Target Market Determinations. For copies, visit Royal Automobile Club of Victoria (RACV) Ltd AR 001243563 is an authorised representative of the issuer and receives commission for each policy sold or renewed. RACV Travel Insurance issued by Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance Co., Ltd ABN 80 000 438 291 AFSL 246 548. Terms & conditions apply, refer to the PDS.