RACV Home Insurance policies are designed to provide cover for when unexpected things happen to your home or belongings.

Not sure whether you need standalone buildings insurance, standalone contents insurance, or a combined insurance policy? You’re in the right place.
Here, we break down the inclusions and benefits across three RACV Home Insurance policies to help you determine which option is best for you.

Standard benefits and inclusions

Standard benefits and inclusions

Home Buildings & Contents Insurance

Buildings Insurance

Contents Insurance

Up to 12 months temporary accommodation
Demolishing and removing debris
Rebuilding fees
Cover for damage to the building e.g. roof, shed
Kitchen cupboards and benchtops
Cover for damage to your contents e.g. TV, clothes
Floating floorboards, carpets & rugs
Window furnishings e.g. curtains
Spoiled food or prescription medication (due to an insured event)
Credit card theft
Cover for damage or theft of works of art e.g. paintings

Up to $2,500

Up to $2,500


Cover for damage or theft of jewellery and watches

Up to $2,500

Up to $2,500

This table is a summary only. Refer to the Product Disclosure Statement for a full list of conditions, limits and exclusions.

Optional cover you can add

Optional cover you can add

Home Buildings & Contents Insurance

Buildings Insurance

Contents Insurance

Accidental damage
Burnout of electric motors - fusion
Portable items cover (e.g. mobile phone, engagement ring)

Agreed value

Agreed value

Valuable items cover over $2,500 (e.g. painting, laptop)

Agreed value

Agreed value

This table is a summary only. Refer to the Product Disclosure Statement for a full list of conditions, limits and exclusions.

A listed event refers to when something unexpected happens that causes loss or damage to your home and/or belongings that your policy covers you for.
Here's a summary of listed events covered by three RACV Home Insurance policies - standalone buildings insurancestandalone contents insurance, and combined insurance:







Impact damage

Flood, rainwater run off and storm surge#

Theft or attempted theft

Vandalism or a malicious act

Riots or civil commotion

# Unless you have chosen to remove this feature.
This list is a summary only. Refer to the Product Disclosure Statement for a full list of conditions, limits and exclusions.

We have calculators that can help you estimate the value of your home buildings and contents*. This value is also known as the sum insured.

Customer care

No query is too hard to handle. Our Australian-based consultants are always here to help. 

Exclusive savings

RACV Members save with discounted attraction tickets, Woolworths WISH gift cards, special prices on local travel, day trips, and more.  

Multi-Policy discounts

The more RACV Insurance policies you hold, the more you can save. Get 10% off when you take out two or more eligible policies.

What’s the difference between Buildings Insurance, Contents Insurance and Combined Home Buildings and Contents Insurance?

RACV Buildings Insurance covers structural or physical damage that has occurred to your home as a result of a listed event, including natural disasters, malicious or accidental damage. (Accidental damage is an optional extra.)

RACV Contents Insurance covers the valuable items inside your home in the instance of damage or theft, with optional cover to include portable items for when you leave the home or travel abroad.

RACV Home Buildings and Contents Insurance is a combination of the two, ideal for homeowners who live in their primary home. This option allows you to conveniently manage your cover in one combined policy. Plus, you would only have to pay one excess in the event of an insured incident.

For a full list of inclusions and exclusions in each of these policies, refer to the Product Disclosure Statement.

What is the difference between General, Valuable and Portable contents?

General contents are items you keep in and around your home that aren't permanently attached or fixed to the home's structure, like furniture, furnishings, carpets, electrical items and clothes.

Valuable contents are covered as part of your general contents, but only up to $2,500 and for these categories:

  • works of art
  • music, games and movies
  • collections
  • jewellery and watches.

You can choose to insure Valuable contents for more than $2,500 when you take out a policy or complete a quote.

Portable contents are items you or your family own that you might take outside of your home. Items may include:

  • camping and sporting equipment (when they’re not being used)
  • prescription glasses or hearing aids
  • electronic devices like a smart watch, phone or laptop
  • baby capsules and luggage.

Read the Product Disclosure Statement for a full list and description of items covered in building, contents and combined policies. 

Can I insure items that are over the value of $2,500?

Yes. If you have an item – or collection of items within a category – where the total value exceeds the standard $2,500 covered, you can add on additional cover (which costs extra).

If you want the cover to apply to the same item when it is taken outside your home (or overseas), you will also need to add on Portable Contents cover. This could apply to items such as a laptop or an engagement ring.

More information you may be interested in...

1 The Multi-Policy Discount and Years of Membership Benefits exclude Travel, Business and Farm Insurance products. To qualify for the Multi-Policy Discount, you must hold two eligible RACV Insurance policies. For further details, see the Premium, Excess and Discounts guide at racv.com.au. Discounts will only be applied until any applicable minimum premium is reached. On renewal, any increases or decreases in your premium may be limited by factors such as your previous year’s premium. You may not save more with more eligible policies and by staying with RACV Insurance longer if a minimum premium is reached, or limits have been applied to increases or decreases in your premium.

* The RACV Home Buildings and Home Contents Calculators provide an indication of rebuilding or replacement costs only and in no way guarantees the amount RACV Insurance may agree to insure your home or contents for. It is your responsibility to check that this amount is enough to cover the rebuilding costs of your home or replacement costs of your home’s contents at today’s prices. Before you decide whether to buy or continue to hold RACV Home Insurance, you should calculate the actual replacement value of your home and contents and consider the information in the Product Disclosure Statement.

The information provided is general advice only. Before making any decisions please consider your own circumstances and the Product Disclosure Statement and Target Market Determinations. For copies, visit racv.com.au. As distributor, RACV Insurance Services Pty Ltd AFS Licence No. 230039 receives commission for each policy sold or renewed. Insurance product(s) issued by Insurance Manufacturers of Australia Pty Ltd ABN 93 004 208 084 AFS Licence No. 227678.