Motor Insurance claims

How to lodge a motor insurance claim

  • Claim over the phone

    Prefer to speak to a consultant? You can call RACV Claims and Assistance Centre on 13 19 03.

RACV provides free personal emergency and travel assistance as part of your insurance when you and your family are more than 100km away from your home.

We provide assistance including:

·      Cancelling credit cards and access card and reissuing lost or stolen tickets

·      If your vehicle breaks down, assistance with locating spare parts that are not available locally

·      Transport home if needed, if a hospital stay of 7 days or more is imminent

·      Organising transport for a family member or a friend to aid a lone travelling policyholder

We also provide accommodation and transport assistance if you're unable to drive due to illness or injury that interrupts a driving trip when you are 100km or more from home, including:

·      Up to two night’s accommodation.

·      Your return journey home.

·      Delivery of policyholder’s vehicle back home.

·      Payment of up to two night’s accommodation for the policyholder and family if the vehicle is stolen.

If you have RACV Prime Cover Comprehensive Motor Insurance, motor insurance designed for people 50 and over, additional benefits include:

·      Assistance with motor-related legal matters, for example; traffic offences, road rules, buying or selling a car

·      24-hour medical assistance services

Online claims are available for individual policyholders only. For any policies with a company listed as the insured, please call 13 19 03 to lodge or discuss your claim.

*RACV Motor Insurance is issued by Insurance Manufacturers of Australia Pty Limited ABN 93 004 208 084 AFS Licence No. 227678. The information on this website is general advice only so before making any decisions, please consider your own circumstances and the Product Disclosure Statement.