As senior management at VicRoads meets with locals in regional centres across Victoria this week, an RACV survey of Victoria's country highways has found regional highways to be in an unacceptable condition.
RACV’s manager roads and traffic Dave Jones said the state of many regional roads poses a serious risk to public safety and that an estimated $1.2 billion is needed over four years just to fix the worst of them.
“Even after the spending allocation in the 17/18 Victorian Budget, the budget papers show that the proportion of distressed roads will not be reduced,” Mr Jones says.
“This calls into question the management of the country highway network and whether there is a plan to ensure Victorians have the road network they need.”
A parliamentary inquiry to consider how VicRoads manages the road network is scheduled for later this year.
A recent RACV survey, conducted by Nature Research, found that more than one-third of regional Victorians are dissatisfied with how VicRoads manages the regional road network.
“RACV believes it is clear that an improvement in the condition and safety of our roads is now critical for Victorians,” Mr Jones says.
He urges all RACV members who are concerned about the condition of regional roads to visit the Engage VicRoads website and provide details of their concerns.
The VicRoads regional public meetings are being held today (24 May 2017) in Korumburra, Stratford and Bairnsdale.
Tomorrow (25 May) meetings are at the East Gippsland Livestock Exchange and Wangaratta.
On Friday (26 May), VicRoads staff will be in Shepparton.
In July, VicRoads will be in Loddon Campaspe, Mallee and Wimmera Southern Mallee.
Visit the https://engage.vicroads.vic.gov.au/countryroads website for more details.
RACV’s list of top 10 regional highways in need of attention
- Henty Highway, Portland - maintenance
- Princes Highway East, Warragul to Traralgon - maintenance
- Princes Highway East, Bairnsdale to NSW border - maintenance and absence of safety features
- Hopkins Highway, Warrnambool to Mortlake - maintenance
- Hamilton Highway - maintenance
- Calder Highway - Bendigo to Mildura - absence of safety features
- Goulburn Valley Highway - Shepparton to NSW border - absence of safety features and poor crash record
- Western Freeway - Ararat to Horsham - absence of safety features for volume and type of traffic
- Princes Highway West - Warrnambool to SA border - absence of safety features for volume and type of traffic
- South Gippsland Highway – maintenance