Have a gap year

RACV RoyalAuto magazine

This page contains archived content

To visit the new RoyalAuto website you can use the link below. 

Grab your passport, pack your bags and choose your own adventure.

Take a tour

If the idea of striking out on your own is a little daunting, there are plenty of tours available to suit all interests and budgets. Touring today goes beyond party tours and booze cruises.

Multiple companies cater for everything from off-the-beaten track adventures to living like a local, luxury getaways to sailing holidays. A great way to choose a tour is by theme, such as food, nature, wildlife or city life, allowing you to find something that suits your interests. Whether you choose a large or a small group, bus, train, boat, rail, bike or walk tour, you will gain new life experiences and make lifelong friends.


Volunteering overseas can be a rewarding way to experience another country and culture while giving something back to the community. Most opportunities can be found in parts of Africa and Asia in developing communities working in orphanages, teaching English or working in medicine.

International volunteering has recently attracted media attention in part due to its popularity and also because of disreputable volunteering organisations and “exploitation travel”.

If you are interested in volunteering overseas, research the organisation thoroughly to make sure neither you nor the community is being exploited. You will also need the right visa and documentation.


If the idea of earning money while living like a local appeals, then get a job while you’re travelling. Working while overseas will give you more options than just travelling alone. Being able to earn money will free you up to see more, buy more and stay longer. You will also gain valuable work experience that will help boost your resume. Australians under 30 years of age can usually get a working holiday visa easily enough.

Learn a skill

After 13 years of continuous education, learning may be the last thing on your mind. However, if the idea of learning French in France, scuba diving in the Caribbean or cooking in Italy appeals, then combine your holiday with a learning experience. Search online for courses, schools or locals to help you learn the skill of your choice.

Get travel insurance

Any person travelling overseas should take out travel insurance. Single-trip policies are available for shorter journeys whereas multi-trip and annual policies are more cost-effective for longer holidays. Always purchase travel insurance before you leave the country and read the policy carefully to make sure you’re fully covered, especially if you’re planning to engage in adventure activities or travel to remote destinations.

Report: Amanda Willimott
Published in RoyalAuto Oct 2016



Visit smartraveller.gov.au for the latest travel warnings. Visit racv.com.au/travel for discounts, travel competitions, insurance and tips.

Before you go, check out RACV travel insurance products – international, domestic and multi-trip insurance, which includes 24-hour emergency assistance.