• Cover when you need it

    A car insurance policy can protect you against loss in the event of a motor vehicle accident or theft of your vehicle. Here, you can discover a range of car insurance options, from Complete Care® cover to Third Party Property Damage. At a minimum, RACV Car Insurance policies provide the following cover:

    • Liability cover up to $20 million for unintentional collision damage to someone else’s vehicle or property when you’re at fault.
    • Legal representation up to $10,000 if your vehicle is involved in an incident.
    • Automatic cover for vehicle modifications, options and accessories attached to the vehicle.

Customer care

Our Australian-based consultants are always here to help you.

Flexi excess discount

Reduce your premium upfront by selecting a higher basic excess.*

Exclusive savings

RACV Members save with discounted attraction tickets, gift cards, and special prices on local travel.

Pay annually

Save on the price of your premium when you pay annually.†

Summary of Cover

Summary of Cover

Complete Care®

Top pick


Most popular

Third Party Fire and Theft

Third Party Property Damage


$100 per day until the vehicle is repaired or claim is settled

$100 per day until the vehicle is repaired or claim is settled

$60 per day for max. 21 days

$60 per day for max. 21 days

$100 per day until the vehicle is repaired or claim is settled

Optional $60 per day for max. 14 days


Up to $1,500

Up to $1,000

Up to $750

Up to $500 total

Up to $80 each way

First 36 months of registration

First 24 months of registration

Post-repair vehicle inspection

Up to $1,000

Up to $500


Fire, theft or attempted theft
Accidental damage to your vehicle
Flood, storm, or a malicious act

This is only a summary of some inclusions for RACV Car Insurance policies – terms, conditions and policy limits apply. For the full details of what is and is not covered you can read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).
If you choose to add optional extras to your cover, you'll need to pay more on your premium.

What can I claim on my car insurance?

This depends on the level of cover included in your car insurance policy and what type of incident has occurred (eg. collision, fire, theft, flood etc).

Complete Care® Car Insurance provides RACV Motor Insurance’s highest level of cover when you need to make a claim, while Third Party Property Damage will protect you for the essentials.

To find out what you could claim, compare Insurance options.

What are the different types of car insurance?

RACV Motor Insurance has a few different types of car insurance, to suit a range of needs.

Complete Care® Car Insurance

This is the highest level of RACV Motor Insurance. You’ll be covered for damages caused in an incident and have access to additional extras.

These extras include:

  • no excess for windscreen, sunroof and window glass repairs
  • vehicle pick up and return
  • post repair vehicle inspection
  • emergency accommodation
  • pet assistance.

Comprehensive Car Insurance

You'll be covered for damage to your vehicle and other people's property or vehicles in the event of a collision.

You can also choose to add extras to your policy, including things like:

  • no excess for windscreen, sunroof and window glass claims
  • hire car after incidents
  • the option to choose your own repairer.

Comprehensive Car Insurance insures your vehicle for an agreed or market value.

Third Party Fire and Theft

You’ll not only be protected if you unintentionally cause damage to other people’s property, but also covered if your car is stolen or damaged by a fire.

You won’t be covered for costs to repair your damaged vehicle following an incident when you’re at fault.

Third Party Property Damage

With this cover, you’ll be protected for unintentional damage you cause to another person’s vehicle or property - such as driving into someone’s car or fence.

You won’t be covered for costs to repair your damaged vehicle following an incident when you’re at fault.

To find out what policy suits your needs, you can compare our car insurance options.

For full details of what is and isn’t covered, see the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).

What is a car insurance excess?

When you take out your policy, you’ll choose your basic excess.
This is how much you pay when making a claim.

In some circumstances, with Complete Care® and Comprehensive Car Insurance, you may choose a higher basic excess on your policy to reduce your premium.

You may also need to pay different types of excess, if:

  • the driver is under 25
  • the driver has less than 2 years driving experience
  • you qualify for a special excess, based on vehicle and owner history.

The basic excess for your policy, and any excess that applies to you, will be listed on your Certificate of Insurance.

When you start a claim online, you’ll find out whether an excess is payable. If you have an excess to pay, you can pay it online.

For more detailed information, please refer to our Premium, Excesses and Discounts Guide (PED).

What do I need to do when I have an incident?

1) Stop and secure the area
Turn off the engine and turn on your hazard lights. If a traffic hazard or an injury requires ambulance assistance, call 000 for emergency services.

Keep in mind other drivers are still using the road, so where possible, move aside to a safe location.

2) Exchange details with drivers involved
This includes their:

  • full name, residential address, contact number
  • driver’s licence number
  • registration number
  • car model
  • any insurance company details
  • the name and phone number of any witnesses.

It’s always good to take plenty of photos and/or videos of the scene and damage. Also record the date and time of the incident.

In Victoria, for minor cases with no injuries but may require police assistance, call the Police Assistance Line on 131 444.

If you can’t drive your car home from the incident scene, call 13 19 03 and towing can be arranged.

3) Lodge a claim
It is recommended that you lodge a claim as soon as possible using our online portal or by calling 13 19 03. From this, we can arrange repairs for your damaged car.

How do I make a claim on my car insurance?

No matter who is at fault for an incident, the process of making a claim is the same.

You’ll need to provide us information on the incident, like recorded time, witness’ contacts, and details of other drivers involved (if applicable). Photos of the incident can give us a clearer idea of what happened and will help with your claim.

If your car has been stolen in Victoria, your first step is to contact the Police Assistance Line on 131 444, before making an insurance claim. We may ask you for a police report reference number and the date reported, so it's a good idea to write these details down.

We recommend using our online portal to lodge your claim, or call us on 13 19 03 for assistance.

Are learner drivers covered to drive my car?

Yes, learner drivers are automatically covered under your RACV Car Insurance policy.

When the learner driver is behind the wheel, under your supervision we treat you as the driver.

This means you’ll be covered if a learner driving your car is involved in an incident.

Do I need to list all my drivers on my Car Insurance policy?

No matter who's driving, RACV Motor Insurance covers all licensed drivers provided they meet our criteria.

You don't need to list all additional drivers using your car, but it’s worth considering based on how frequently others drive your car.

Your car insurance premium may change if another driver is listed on your policy.

However, it’s important to be aware that an unlisted driver found at fault for an incident whilst driving your car may result in you paying a higher or an additional excess following a claim - this is an additional fee on top of your basic excess.

For further details on excess charges based on your policy, read our Premium, Excesses and Discounts Guide (PED).

Please know, a learner driver who is repeatedly using your vehicle doesn’t need be a listed driver on your policy. The age excess will not apply if they are involved in a collision and supervised by a fully licensed driver aged 25 years or older.

Can I register and insure a car without a driver's licence?

You don’t need to hold a driver’s licence to insure a car. However, to be covered in an incident the driver of the vehicle needs to be licenced.

We know every situation and reason to insure a car is different. To better understand your eligibility for RACV Motor Insurance, call our friendly team for a chat on 13 72 28.

What is the difference between Market Value and Agreed Value?

Agreed value
This is how much we agree to insure your vehicle for. It’s fixed for the term of the policy.

Market value
This is our assessment of your vehicle’s value at the time of an incident you’re claiming for. We use local market prices and consider the age and condition of your vehicle.
For Third Party Fire and Theft, your vehicle is insured for market value up to $10,000.

Inclusions and exclusions
Both agreed and market value include any modifications, options or accessories attached to your vehicle, GST, registration, Compulsory Third Party Insurance (if applicable) and other on-road costs.
They don’t include allowance for dealer profit, warranty costs, future stamp duty and transfer fees.

Can I choose my own repairer?

All RACV Car Insurance policies come with access to over 90 high-quality repairer locations. We trust these businesses to quote, assess and provide a quality repair for your car - we even give a lifetime guarantee for any work we authorise, as long as you’re the owner of your vehicle.

If you'd rather choose your own repairer, this option is included with Complete Care® Car Insurance, or you can add this option to Comprehensive Car Insurance policies.

However it’s not an inclusion within Third Party Car Insurance types.

If you choose to arrange your own repairer, make sure you have selected an authorised repairer who meets industry standards. If anything goes wrong (like faulty workmanship), it won’t be covered in your policy.

Is it important to have car insurance in Victoria?

Car insurance gives you peace of mind to manage costs in the event of an incident. For instance, you may only end up paying the insurance excess rather than the full cost of car damage repairs

Unlike other states, in Victoria the Compulsory Third Party (CTP) is included when you register your vehicle with VicRoads. CTP covers you for any injuries caused from an incident involving your car.

Having additional car insurance, like Complete Care® Car Insurance, Comprehensive Car Insurance, Third Party Property Damage or Third Party Fire and Theft, provides you extra protection if an incident occurs, especially when involving other people’s cars.

* Complete Care® and Comprehensive policies only.
† Comprehensive, Third Party and Third Party Fire and Theft policies only. 

The information provided is general advice only. Before making any decisions please consider your own circumstances and the Product Disclosure Statement and Target Market Determinations.  For copies, visit racv.com.au. As distributor, RACV Insurance Services Pty Ltd AFS Licence No. 230039 receives commission for each policy sold or renewed. Product(s) issued by Insurance Manufacturers of Australia Pty Ltd ABN 93 004 208 084 AFS Licence No. 227678.

R.A.C.V. Finance Limited ABN 82 004 292 291 Australian Credit Licence No. 391488. RACV Finance is subject to RACV lending criteria. Conditions, fees and charges apply.